Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 4000d over 550d or 600d

R26 oldtimer

As I am on the lookout for a used canon 550d or 600d, I stumbled upon an ad for a new 4000d. It appears to have the same 18Mp sensor and digic4 processor. Plus it's brand new, plus it has wifi. I can get it for the same price of a used 600d.

So, is anyone using the 4000d for astrophoto?

Despite the seven year gap in release dates, internally they're largely the same camera. If you have no use for the articulated screen then a brand new camera may be the better option. At least it will have a guarantee, you will know its not been kicked around and the shutter count will be zero.

In defence of the 600d its a well regarded astro camera and WiFi could be added with a WIFi enabled SD card. On balance though the newer model may be the better choice if prices are similar.

If you can get the one with a kit lens as it gives you more imaging options without a telescope.

On 10/01/2019 at 17:54, R26 oldtimer said:

As I am on the lookout for a used canon 550d or 600d, I stumbled upon an ad for a new 4000d. It appears to have the same 18Mp sensor and digic4 processor. Plus it's brand new, plus it has wifi. I can get it for the same price of a used 600d.

So, is anyone using the 4000d for astrophoto?

Two reasons I upgraded from my 550D to a 750D when I recently got into astrophotography: articulated screen and digic 6 processor. Having only used the 750D for astrophotos, I can't compare the two processors, but the articulated screen is extremely useful.

A couple of hours ago, I went to a store that had a second hand 600d, with 5000 clicks for 200€. I asked to compare it side by side with the 4000d.

The 4000d with its plastic lens mount and mediocre overall build looked very "cheap" compared with the 600d.

Can you guess which one came home with me?

14 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

The 4000d with its plastic lens mount and mediocre overall build looked very "cheap" compared with the 600d.

Can you guess which one came home with me?

The one that produced the best photos?

Great choice, as well as a modded 1100D, I have 2 600D's one modded the other not... The latter never far from my hands....  

Oh by the way, download & expand\install to the SD card, a copy of Magic Lantern (https://magiclantern.fm/), it opens another level of control of the camera, that you never knew existed....  & if you don't like it, you can just wipe the SD card & be back to normal.

Archived