Narrowband

Practical Astro show.

Very sad to have missed this; it was in my diary, but at short notice my wife and I agreed to house sit and take care of 2 of our grandkids down in Surrey last week through yesterday, while our daughter and S-i-L took a trip to New York. Very nice for them and of course lovely for us to spend time with the grandkids and catch up with with other family and friends near our old stomping ground, but the PAS was a casualty for me....

Sounds like it was a superb event, so hopefully it will run again next year.

Geof

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jkulin said:

That's strange as everywhere I looked there were discount, I have in front of me the Starlight price list with the show discount averaging 20% and I know that @bob-c bagged a great bargain on a new OTA, like most shows you have to ask!

Precisely, I travelled to support @peter shah with his new venture 656imaging.co.uk and it was a round trip of about 140 miles for me and apart from coffee and something to eat I didn't spend a penny, it was good to meet and chat with a number of people and will certainly be a show that I will attend in future.

Each show I bump into Angelos and Evons from Pegasus, always a pleasure as these lads always listen and work to keep their products up to date with fixes and software update, Barbara & Tim from Dew Control and W&W Astro dew heaters are always a pleasure and usually have something innovative that they are launching and Barbara's polish fudge is normally a pleasure but I forgot to ask yesterday.

I bumped into a really lovely elderly gentlemen called Mike whom I met on the way in, it was a pleasure to chat to him about the commission for Dark Skies and hear about their plans to try and get light pollution down.

I had a very interesting chat with Neil from Outsideology, he designs bespoke Obsy's

Ian and and Nick from Altair found the time for a good chat, always a pleasure to chat to these lads.

Yep Good point Neil, I did find that very useful yesterday.

@Anne SI did meet up with Solarboy and I asked about you, but I'm afraid I never got to meet you, sorry.

@JeremyS I'm sure that if you have a chat with them and say you forgot your wallet ? that you'll find they will honour some of their show prices.

So for me it was an excellent show, thoroughly enjoyed it, I wanted to get into a couple of the talks but time flew so quick I missed them, and as a few have said the IAS have some way to go to better this now.

Perhaps you should re-read my post and quote it in context. 

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Perhaps you should re-read my post and quote it in context. 

Apologies Mike, I didn't mean it to come across as contradicting you, so just to correct my post.

On 09/03/2019 at 22:27, mikeDnight said:

I expected discounts and there were none! At least there were none that were meaningful and on any item I wanted to buy.

An excellent day.

Thank you to all the exhibitors who made the event financially possible, and to the unseen unpaid people who I am sure were there to make it happen.

It was great to chat to suppliers. Some of whom who were just web pages until the day. Same for the visitors.

I enjoyed a rummage on one or two stalls with 'junk'. I mean used equipment in less than pristine condition.

Then of course there are the big products that I cannot ever afford, but don't have a use for. But still good to look at.

Looking at the way products were displayed, comparing to other exhibitions and events, I reckon the astronomy folk must be honest.
There were lots of small expensive items that were not screwed down. Eyepieces, cameras, etc.
I sincerely hope this trust is never betrayed by visitors. It made for very relaxed viewing.
Being able to closely examine items without a salesman pouncing is great.

I managed only one talk, obtaining the last ticket for Robin Glover.
Excellent coverage of the subject with little time for note taking.
Fortunately this is now available online.

I really hope this show will be repeated for 2020.
Whether looking for specific items, a general look at equipment, or attending talks, or catching up, it was an excellent day.

Badges next year to aid recognition? Even if made individually.

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

I've looked at the Sharpcap website but it doesn't appear to be there, do you have a link.

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Please could you post a link to it?  Thanks,

Jon

Archived