Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gloves for astronomy - LIDL

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don’t worry about those disposable hand warmers if you feel a little peckish!

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15563650701711086?scroll=top&needAccess=true

PeterW

So it's the charcoal not the salt which got me cleaning up dog vomit. I can report no signs of toxicity as well!

So these Zippo hand warmers (I've just looked at a few online), they literally burn a live flame somewhere in them, and manage to do so safely, at a temperature that you can bear against your skin and don't melt synthetic fibre clothing with the heat they emit?  We are off skiing soon and my teenage son always has perpetually cold hands regardless of the gloves he wears (and I've tried many types), if there is no danger in these heaters they might be worth a try.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

So these Zippo hand warmers (I've just looked at a few online), they literally burn a live flame somewhere in them, and manage to do so safely, at a temperature that you can bear against your skin and don't melt synthetic fibre clothing with the heat they emit?  We are off skiing soon and my teenage son always has perpetually cold hands regardless of the gloves he wears (and I've tried many types), if there is no danger in these heaters they might be worth a try.

If they are like ones I have handled, they hold a block of charcoal between two felt-covered metal clamshells, insulated by fibreglass. The slow supply of air means the smoulder quietly (no flame) and the fibreglass keeps the red heat from reaching the outside.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If they are like ones I have handled, they hold a block of charcoal between two felt-covered metal clamshells, insulated by fibreglass. The slow supply of air means the smoulder quietly (no flame) and the fibreglass keeps the red heat from reaching the outside. 

I have one of the Zippo ones and it's a different design - more like a lighter in some ways. You fill it with lighter fluid and it burns a tiny little wick-like thing that looks to be made of metal (like a little pad of something like fine steel wool, though I'm sure it's not). No flame - it just glows like a faint ember. A lid the sits over that that cuts off the air (presumably there is some minimal ventilation) and the whole thing pops into a little faux silk bag.

It works reasonably well, and stays hot for a good 12-14 hours. No way to turn it off, but it seems safe enough - I've not set anything on fire with it yet!

Billy.

On 13/01/2019 at 00:28, Relpet said:

You can also wear thin screen-touch gloves (£4 for two pairs from Mountain Warehouse) underneath that keep your finger/thumb tips warm but still give you the "feel" for twiddling.

Excellent idea!  I'll give that a try.      Last week, after having spent an hour in -7°C without gloves changing eyepieces started to become somewhat difficult.

3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

I a couple of pairs of thinsulate gloves which do a decent job. Managed to take 2 left hands out the other morning, despite the difference in colour, must have been the excitement of a clear sky!

Would suit me, I have two left thumbs...

I guess being an imager with a permanent obsy does mean you don't have to keep touching cold scopes etc.  Unlike those that have to set up every night, or are at the eye piece observing.

I do however wear a nice warm coat with pockets and take gloves with me, as opening and shutting the dome can be very cold on the hands.  I can't wear gloves at the laptop, so just pop them on as and when I can, or stick my hands in my coat pockets.   Once everything is running fine I retire indoors and control it all remotely from then on, in the warm.  

Not so easy when I am at astro camp though, when I am sitting outside much of the time, but still with nice gaps while the images are capturing when I can retreat to my campervan and watch a DVD.  Of course we don't tend to go to camp in the REALLY freezing weather.

Carole 

There are electrically heated gloves which I suspect would be good but they are not cheap. Eg: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B071WLPXHQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071WLPXHQ&pd_rd_w=ZjjNZ&pf_rd_p=778fa351-179b-4fbe-a374-591cbbf14da8&pd_rd_wg=NmbXg&pf_rd_r=6W2P3F4EJCA9DAFHJGTP&pd_rd_r=bb223e5d-1ff6-11e9-9f91-fdda01699348

I haven't tried them but, when motorcycling seriously, I did have heated grips on my BMW. They work, no doubt about it.

Olly

I use a pair of running gloves and a thick pair of mittens over them. I can point the scope with the mittens on, change the eyepieces with the gloves but I make it a rule to take the gloves off when I pack or unpack the OTA. 

Archived