Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gloves for astronomy - LIDL

Anyone starting out in mid-winter might find they need a pair of warm gloves that still let them manipulate the bits and bobs while using their equipment in the middle of a cold field.  I was given a pair of Astro Gloves a couple of years ago but for less than a third of the price you can buy a similar pair in LIDL on one of their specials counters.  Every little helps (sorry, wrong supermarket!).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a wheelchair user. My preference for when in the wheelchair on a daily basis is fingerless gloves. Same while observing. I have a pair of fingerless which serve both purposes. They cost me about 60 euros. I dont mind because for the wheelchair they have to be hard wearing and durable while being light and breathable.

I never wear gloves their just too cumbersome. Living in the countyside away from street lights,what I do if my fingers start to numb up is  I pour a cup of tea from my flask and take a brisk walk up the farm track or in the neighbouring field with my hands wrapped around steaming cup. Its quite nice to get  away from the camera and scope for a while and just admire the sky with the naked eye while getting the blood circulating again.

43 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

If your hands get too cold swing your arms around for 10/15 seconds and it will circulate warm blood to your hands. Seen Bear Grylls do it on telly and it works! I do it myself as I work outside.

I've seen him eat maggots out of a dead goat's bloated liver as a good source of protein whilst hiking to the next Mc Do'.

I reckon some of his stuff should be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)

But as a white finger sufferer I do agree that arm swinging does help. :)

Rich

3 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Im a wheelchair user. My preference for when in the wheelchair on a daily basis is fingerless gloves. Same while observing. I have a pair of fingerless which serve both purposes. They cost me about 60 euros. I dont mind because for the wheelchair they have to be hard wearing and durable while being light and breathable.

If you get caught in the spokes you can have fingerless hands to go with the fingerless gloves... I'll get my coat...

I am still waiting for suitable conditions to use my telescope, but I use these for walking the dog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcing4U-Ltd-Reusable-Warmer-Various/dp/B07JP97BCZ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=RHVS8NP74YNVAAMG6GPB&th=1&psc=1

They may have a limit to the number of charges they can do but I have several of them and have been using them for years.

They can make your hands too hot even in very cold weather.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I use disposable handwarmer pouches as dew heaters and a spare one is great for the fingers ?

I'm living/observing/imaging in Ottawa, Ontario, and I couldn't get on without those hand-warmer pouches inside a thin pair of gloves. When it's warranted (-10C or colder), I even use them in my boots. My wife thinks I'm nuts to voluntarily go outside for hours in this kind of cold, but when the blood is flowing warm, it's a pleasure (maybe not quite a pleasure, but you get the idea). A tot or two of whiskey helps, too, haha.

When/if  the need arises, I use Snowbee's lightweight neoprene gloves with fingerless thumb and forefinger.
I have other  pairs of gloves that expose the finger tips whilst  hand is still gloved, but the neoprenes are favoured. 

Last Year I purchased a 'Zippo' pocket warmer, lasts for hours, and prior to that I had used the charcoal pocket warmers on longer nights when fishing.

On 10/01/2019 at 23:59, Charic said:

Last Year I purchased a 'Zippo' pocket warmer, lasts for hours

I have one of these too. The fuel smells, but its lovely and hot and certainly keeps the fingers toasty. 

36 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I have one of these too. The fuel smells, but its lovely and hot and certainly keeps the fingers toasty. 

I've no issue with the smell, but Zippo fuel is not always available here, so I bought a litre of Coleman's.
Coleman's does not have a tiny spout like the Zippo so there might lie a serious issue trying to pour, so may have to syringe the stuff in!

IMG_0194.JPG

9 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

I've used sailing gloves for over 10 years now. These are my current ones, a nice Christmas present ?

https://www.gillmarine.com/gb/sailing-accessories/sailing-gloves/championship-gloves-long-finger-7252.html

Yep.  Much the same thing in appearance in LIDL for £8, a quarter of the price, but I'll bet yours last longer.  Most of the replies to this post make me feel a complete wimp but if I don't wear gloves the skin on my knuckles cracks in the cold and it's pretty uncomfortable for days after.  You can also wear thin screen-touch gloves (£4 for two pairs from Mountain Warehouse) underneath that keep your finger/thumb tips warm but still give you the "feel" for twiddling.

11 minutes ago, Relpet said:

........the skin on my knuckles cracks in the cold and it's pretty uncomfortable for days after.  

Check out O'keeffe's Working hands.
Guaranteed relief for extremely dry cracked hands?
Possibly in Boots chemist.

Disposable charcoal pocket heaters are quite good, so are the lighter fuelled ones (I have 2 peacock brand). I put some of the former in the flap of some foldable mittens which seemed to work OK. I have also tried glove liners, but the wind seems to sink through them. Currently evaluating some leather Kinko gloves from the US. Some useful links here, will try if the latest ones don’t deliver.

Peter

PS I’ll try the cracked hand stuff too.

On 10/01/2019 at 18:52, L8-Nite said:

On the colder nights, I put an old fashioned hot water bottle with knitted cover inside the big front pocket of my hooded sweatshirt; it keeps me warm & comfortable and is a toasty place for hand warming.

Yep, been using the hot water bottle for years.  Keeps your core temperature up too.  I have a hoodie with a large front pocket that can hold the bottle, then a long coat over that helps trap the heat.

23 hours ago, Charic said:

Check out O'keeffe's Working hands.
Guaranteed relief for extremely dry cracked hands?
Possibly in Boots chemist.

Nice tip and thank you.  Screwfix are cheaper but, as the adage goes, prevention is better than cure.  The glove combination works for me - no bleeding fingers at all this winter.  So I'll just carry on wimping.

1 hour ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

Yep, been using the hot water bottle for years.  Keeps your core temperature up too.  I have a hoodie with a large front pocket that can hold the bottle, then a long coat over that helps trap the heat.

Many old school ideas still work well, and at negligible cost.

I tested the Coleman's fuel today in the Zippo and had a little over 10 hours of heat from an indicated 12 Hr fill?
I'll give it another test soon, see if I can get nearer to the indicated 12 hour maximum.

The Zippo web site does say there are many factors that affect the burn rate, giving more or less than expected, and no doubt, based on using their own fuel.

I use the Celestron Firecel combo hand warmers, they have a shape that fits the palm nicely inside a glove. Also a neat little flashlight and usb charger pack when you need that too. Been useing them a few years now and they are holding up very well...

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/celestron-firecell-external-battery-review/

Archived