Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Hey .. i just took out my celestron firstscope in my backyard to observe the moon.Because i have no finder it took a bit to find with my 20mm.When i found it i switched to the 4mm , then i tried focusing .At the best focus the moon was still blury. I didn't see any clouds. What am i doing wrong?

What kind of scope do you have?

It depends on the seeing condition and scope, perhaps the magnification the 4mm produced was beyond the scope capabilities. 

Is your scope a Skywatcher Heritage 130 ?

Hello Kronos,

It could also be the Celestron Power Seeker 80. That telescope often prompts the question you have. It comes with a 3x Barlow, together with a 20mm and a 4mm eyepiece.  

On this telescope, the magnifications you get from these accessories are:

20mm                        45x
20mm with Barlow    135x
4mm                          225x
4mm with Barlow      675x

That sounds impressive, but the limit for an 80mm telescope is 160x.

Some manufacturers just cannot help themselves.

Thanks for your help! I know about the aperture x inch rule already !As i state in my article i have the Celestron FIRSTSCOPE used with a 4 mm eyepiece supplied. Also can you recommend a finderscope alternative? Its a pain in the butt to track things without a finderscope.It took me 5 mins to center the moon maybe more

Thanks 

Kronos

Edited by Kronos831
Forgot to write a word

It might be a combination of some or all of the following factors: 

The first scope has a fast focal ratio which means that focusing needs to be very precise, especially with low focal length eyepieces. 

The focuser on the first scope has small focusing knobs which makes precise focusing difficult. I 3d printed a "tyre" to fit around the focuser knob on a Skywatcher 1145p which I think might have the same focuser and it made a massive improvement. 

The 4mm you have is not of great quality. 

Search on eBay for two hole red dot finders. You can probably get one shipped directly form China for about £10. 

Edited by Ricochet

I have had the same scope you have, the Celestron Firstscope. I think it is a decent scope for beginners (considering the price), but I have to say that the 4mm eyepiece is the worst I’ve ever used. The blurry image is most likely due to the eyepiece. If you’d like to have a little upgrade, look for Plossl eyepieces. They provide much, much wider apparent field of view and are more comfortable use than the supplied eyepieces.

For a finder scope, I’d go with a Rigel Quickfinder. It is a red dot finder, easy to use, and can be transferred to another scope if you decide to upgrade in the future. Other cheaper alternatives do exist, but I doubt they are as good as Rigel. If you are on a budget, cheaper ones will do fine as well, though.

Your telescope is at its best in wide field viewing. Objects such as the Pleiades or Orion Nebula are excellent targets. The supplied 20mm eyepiece is ok for that. If you want something that would give you a higher magnification for planets, try a 5mm Plossl, for example. 

• Like 1