SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which scope to buy

I'm having trouble picking a new scope i have had a celestron reflector before on a eq mount about 8 year back and I didn't give myself enough time to get used to it before selling due to work commitments. I'm now wanting to purchase a good intimidiate scope as I have a lot more time on my hands and I've created a short list from what I have found through second hand scopes. I want to be able to view the planets but also DSO, also I'm purchasing a camera like the neximage 5 or similar varient to do some beginner level astrophotography. The first scope is is the Bresser Messier AR - 152 S/760 Refractor the reviews I read on the sky at night website was really good but from what I read on Google about refractors the info points more towards reflectors or catadioptric scopes. With that in mind I've been looking at the celestron 4se, 5se, C5 or the C6 the Meade etx equivalent. I've also seen a few skywatcher models but unsure which one to go for as I've don't know much about them possibly the 127 ? Sorry for the amount of info but your knowledge would be more than appreciated thank you in advance o do like the idea of a go-to mount but if that's where most of the cost goes then I would do with out to beef my viewing power so to speak.

Welcome to the forum
I don't do astro photography just observe but from reading many posts over the years the advice given for anyone wanting to step into this branch of the hobby is to get a copy of Make Every Photon Count and read it, then read it again and you will be in a much better position to make a choice. 
BTW the book is available from our site sponsors, FLO, click at the top of the page.
Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Welcome to the forum
I don't do astro photography just observe but from reading many posts over the years the advice given for anyone wanting to step into this branch of the hobby is to get a copy of Make Every Photon Count and read it, then read it again and you will be in a much better position to make a choice. 
BTW the book is available from our site sponsors, FLO, click at the top of the page.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Astrophotography isn't my main aim I do mainly just want to observe sorry if with all I said it came across as that. I want to be able to observe a wide range of things probably more so nebula and DSO 

For observing DSOs the best value is a Newtonian scope on a Dobsonian mount but apart from very basic photography this isn't the way to go. Something like the Bresser you mention or the Skywatcher 150P on an equatorial mount will be OK for observing and get you started with imaging. This is a compromise as I'm afraid there isn't a scope that does it all. FWIW I started with the Skywatcher 150P on an EQ3 mount and found the views excellent but being on an equatorial mount means there is a lot of faffing around getting the eyepiece in a viewable position when going from object to object. The 150P is a very capable scope and will allow you to see a wide range of DSOs and when the planets are in a favourable position will show these well too. The Celestron scopes you mention will be excellent for planetary, lunar and the smaller DSOs but have a narrow field of view so the larger DSOs will not show well, also for photographing DSOs you really need a driven equatorial mount, I'm not saying you can't produce results with these Celestron scopes but you are making it hard for yourself.
BTW before you spend any money can you visit your local astronomy club and talk to members and see what they are using. 
HTH

That's is a massive telescope the refractor 152 S/760 so would need quite a substantial mount I expect.

The neximage 5 is limited in scope, it says it can do long exposure and it can but the images are unusable as they are so very very noisy. There are I think better and cheaper out there.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

That's is a massive telescope the refractor 152 S/760 so would need quite a substantial mount I expect.

The neximage 5 is limited in scope, it says it can do long exposure and it can but the images are unusable as they are so very very noisy. There are I think better and cheaper out there.

Out of the goto scopes what would you suggest for bang for buck? There's so many to choose from its beginning take over my uni work ?

Bang for buck, I think it has to be an HEQ5 or NEQ6 (NEQ6 will handle up to 6 inches easily, and 8 at a push).

If you're looking to do some imaging I wouldn't go below that, provided you have the budget (good things have been done with less so don't be put off if you haven't).

For a scope, the Skywatcher 150 P-DS would be a good choice, I think. Reasonable aperture (more than enough for all the Messiers) and no chromatic aberration. For imaging with a one shot colour camera I wouldn't go for an achromat refractor, and for visual including DSOs I wouldn't go for anything below 150mm. For me, unless you want to spend a lot of money, that means a Newt (you could go for an SCT but the higher price, smaller FOV and larger central obstruction make this a suboptimal choice unless you are specifically interested in planetary photography or small DSOs like planetarty nebulae and distant galaxies).

For cameras, you could do much worse than check out the ZWO section on the First Light Optics webpage.

Billy.

2 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

Bang for buck, I think it has to be an HEQ5 or NEQ6 (NEQ6 will handle up to 6 inches easily, and 8 at a push).

If you're looking to do some imaging I wouldn't go below that, provided you have the budget (good things have been done with less so don't be put off if you haven't).

For a scope, the Skywatcher 150 P-DS would be a good choice, I think. Reasonable aperture (more than enough for all the Messiers) and no chromatic aberration. For imaging with a one shot colour camera I wouldn't go for an achromat refractor, and for visual including DSOs I wouldn't go for anything below 150mm. For me, unless you want to spend a lot of money, that means a Newt (you could go for an SCT but the higher price, smaller FOV and larger central obstruction make this a suboptimal choice unless you are specifically interested in planetary photography or small DSOs like planetarty nebulae and distant galaxies).

For cameras, you could do much worse than check out the ZWO section on the First Light Optics webpage.

Billy.

Thanks Billy much appreciated think I will start at the mount ?

You should decide whether you want to do deep-space astrophotography or relegate this to "maybe later", as this will fundamentally affect what you buy - both mount and telescope.  If you only intend visual, you don't want a NEQ6!  Entry level planetary imaging can be added on to a visual scope, so long as it it has tracking.  The Neximage5 is a planetary camera, not intended for deep space, though you may be able to image a few suitable deep-space objects with it.

Also decide whether you want GoTo or not.

The SCTs are not the cheapest of telescopes, but they have these advantages: rarely require collimating, relatively light and compact, have convenient eyepiece position that stays at one height, have long focal range facilitating the use of sundry accessories such as cameras, binoviewers, atmospheric dispersion correctors, and flip mirrors.. 

For looking at galaxies you should have at least an 8" which will rule out refractors unless you have deep pockets.  You also need dark skies to see galaxies.

5 hours ago, Kingolian said:

Out of the goto scopes what would you suggest for bang for buck? There's so many to choose from its beginning take over my uni work ?

I personally like the look of the az-gti with 127mm mak. Has goto and the telescope is quite compact and the mount certainly is. The telescope would enable planet imaging and upgrade the mount's firmware and you get eq mode. Add a wedge, counter weight and just use a camera and camera lens and you get a toe into DSO imaging. 

No one thing can do everything, you decide where you put the importance. If you like the thought of a mount that does both altaz and EQ but want a sturdier mount then raise the budget and start looking at the azEQ5 and above. It's about choosing what works for you the best so you get the most for the money spent or accept you'll have more than one of everything in time. Getting the wrong thing that might be best in theory but wrong for you might struggle to get used. Only you know how much time you have available to spend setting up and doing the hobby.

Edit: imaging within the capabilities of an altaz mount is possible but you do hit a limit of what that is, generally 30 second exposures with a camera lens and less with the 6-8SE as the focal length is so long.

Also if you can do diy you can always make a dobsonian mount for a second hand reflector you find with an eq mount.

Archived