Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from South Oxfordshire

Miles

Hi all,

My name is Jack (Miles is my middle name). I have been interested in Astronomy for a while now; knowing this, my partner bought me a SkyWatcher Heritage 130p for Christmas. We had a nice clear sky the other evening and I went out into the garden with it for the first time. Thouroughly enjoyed myself, even though I didn't really know what I was doing!

Anyway, I hope that in time, when I know the nights sky a little better I can contribute to the discussions here.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jack and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Where in South Oxfordshire are you ?

I used to live in Sonning Common, but now live in Lower Earley.

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Hello Jack. Welcome to the forum.  If you want to meet and learn from other amateur astronomers there are a couple of good astronomical societies in our area: Abingdon and Newbury. 

...he forgot Reading. :shocked:

Hi, Jack, and welcome to SGL.

That is a great little starter scope. As for not knowing what you are doing, that will come with practice. Two things that will help with that: (1) a (free) planetarium program on your computer (Cartes du Ciel is my favourite, others favour Stellarium); this is very useful for planning a session or checking out what you saw while outside. (2) a planisphere; this is particularly useful when you are actually outside with the scope - dial in the date and time, hold it over your head and it lines up with what you are actually seeing.

Enjoy the journey.

10 hours ago, Philip R said:

?  Errrr ... yep, sorry about that. And Reading.   I was thinking of societies I personally know about.  Other clubs are available. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I have been very busy at work so haven't had time to myself! Such is life.

I'm based in Didcot. I am planning on going to one of the Abingdon Astronomical Societies introductory/newcomers evenings very soon. In fact, I was told I could go to a normal meet last week, but couldn't get home from work in time, unfortunately.

So, beyond going outside with a Planisphere and perusing the skies on Stellarium, does anybody have any recommendations for reading material for a newcomer to the hobby (mathematical rigour is not an issue)?

On 11/01/2019 at 05:25, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Jack, and welcome to SGL.

That is a great little starter scope. As for not knowing what you are doing, that will come with practice. Two things that will help with that: (1) a (free) planetarium program on your computer (Cartes du Ciel is my favourite, others favour Stellarium); this is very useful for planning a session or checking out what you saw while outside. (2) a planisphere; this is particularly useful when you are actually outside with the scope - dial in the date and time, hold it over your head and it lines up with what you are actually seeing.

Enjoy the journey.

Thank you! Yes, it seems (from reading threads on here) that the best way to start is simply orienting myself with the skies.

On 10/01/2019 at 21:05, Philip R said:

Hi, I am in Didcot, so am hoping for a few nice evenings at Wittenham Clumps when it warms up a bit.

On 10/01/2019 at 18:30, Ouroboros said:

Hello Jack. Welcome to the forum.  If you want to meet and learn from other amateur astronomers there are a couple of good astronomical societies in our area: Abingdon and Newbury. 

Great! I have actually seen the Abingdon Astronomical Society online and am hoping to go along one evening soon.

9 hours ago, Unklewhale said:

Welcome ! Have you tried one of the sky chart software ptograms like SkyPortal. Useful App if you want to know what younate looking at.

Hi! So I have been playing around with Stellarium and Star Walk II. So far I quite like Stellarium. It's great that I can tailor the view to my scope and eyepieces.

Archived