SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barnards Loop

This is(clearly!) a 10 frame mosaic.  The main reason that I am posting it is that it was acquired in 80 minutes from start to finish and shows just how much "stuff" is in the area, and none of it is faint.  Each frame consists of 5 x 60s subs, binned 2x2.  There is a total of 50 minutes of data.  The other 30 minutes was download time and using CdC to move the mount.

I haven't (as is evident) done any fancy processing.  Acquisition was CCDSoft, calibration and stacking in CCDStack.   The frames were loaded into the Gimp, and I used the "Brightness/Contrast" adjustment until it looked semi-reasonable.  The result is below. 

Six months ago, this would have taken me at least 2 or 3 nights, and even then there probably would have been empty gaps between the frames, so I am really chuffed with this.

182816637_SumOr1Hascaled-1.thumb.jpg.760e28940e29b2ecf3bd572f276f5b7f.jpg

The detail in each pane is lovely. I would look for a better programme for stitching. I've had great success with maxim DL and I believe pixinsight does a good job as well, however, neither is cheap. 

I like this a great deal, the Orion complex is imaged by thousands of AP's, but not many do a widefield capture of this beautiful  area. I have seen splendid coloured mosaics of this vast area surrounding M42, which is so dynamic.

It's a  fine image you've put together, and frankly,. I find  Greyscale images of deep space nebulosity very dramatic.   I know little or nothing about mosaic constructions, but perhaps Scott's  advice is worth exploring

Good luck with your progress.                                                Ron.

6 hours ago, Scooot said:

Great result. The stitching does somehow add a sense of scale. It looks as if it’s a vast area of sky because of the 10 frames/windows. :) 

Thank you!  I haven't measured it, but it should be about 13 degrees by 8.

If we get another clear night I'll add some more frames.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Astroblagger said:

Lovely indeed, what scope camera did you use? 

Thank you very much.

The scope is a takahashi FSQ106ED with a focal reducer (0.67).  The camera is an old STL6303 which is quite sensitive in Ha, but almost blind in Blue.

Archived