Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Az-Gti Help For Beginner.

UberStar

Hi all

First time here so please forgive me if this question has been asked or i post in the wrong section. I have done some google seraches but can not find the answer.

I just purchased a Skywatcher Az-Gti and i am trying to mount a Nikon P1000 to it with the Skywatcher Dovetail L-Bracket, when i try to align the mount with the SynScan app facing north, my mount starts to track down towards mars but mars is up. I can clearly tell that the camera wants spining around so that it is towards the left side of the mount but my bracket is too small to fit the camera on the oposite way. Is there a way to make the mount flip so i can use the camera as if it was on the right side of the mount ? Sorry if that sounds confusing its the best way i can explain my problem without images.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Welcome

You can get red dot finders that fit in camera flash hot shoe mounts which are great to align with if using just a camera.

Date is on American format mm/dd/yyyy and right now day light saving is no.

Trying to picture your issue.

My virtuoso mount before turn on is mount device with altitude level 0 and facing north then turn on, maybe the az-gti is the same.

Hi Helen

This should help i hope :)

Sorry for the noob question but i am totally new to this but how do i get the firmware to the mount ? I have only the app to let me connect and i do not have any extra cables.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, UberStar said:

Hi all

First time here so please forgive me if this question has been asked or i post in the wrong section. I have done some google seraches but can not find the answer.

I just purchased a Skywatcher Az-Gti and i am trying to mount a Nikon P1000 to it with the Skywatcher Dovetail L-Bracket, when i try to align the mount with the SynScan app facing north, my mount starts to track down towards mars but mars is up. I can clearly tell that the camera wants spining around so that it is towards the left side of the mount but my bracket is too small to fit the camera on the oposite way. Is there a way to make the mount flip so i can use the camera as if it was on the right side of the mount ? Sorry if that sounds confusing its the best way i can explain my problem without images.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

HI and congratulations on your mount.  

Following on from Helen's good advice I have a video showing how to load the right arm firmware and a brief review of using the mount in Equatorial Mode.  

You may want to consider a counterweight for the P1000 even if using the mount in Alt / Az.  I find it greatly improves the smoothness of the mount while tracking with a P900 and mounting a larger bubble level on the arm allows you to align the mount better than using the small level on the mount.  

It is a great mount and easy to travel with.  I take mine on every work trip.        

• Like 1

I think its working :)

Thank you so much all. Will take this for a quick test.

Wolfie i see your videos i am sure i am subscibed just did not see your videos on this mount, just you debunking the FE's :D i will take your advice when i get a little more cash.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have a very similar problem & am also a complete beginner, I have trawled for a solution to no avail. I am in Alt-Az mode & using North Alignment, I make sure the scope  is level & pointing North. I choose 2 stars & when it goes to 1st star it slews in the right direction but then angles at the ground. Equally carrying on to the 2nd star slews in the right direction then angles at the ground. The angle looks about right but reversed. Any help enthusiastically received. Many thanks.

55 minutes ago, Gargleblaster said:

I have a very similar problem & am also a complete beginner, I have trawled for a solution to no avail. I am in Alt-Az mode & using North Alignment, I make sure the scope  is level & pointing North. I choose 2 stars & when it goes to 1st star it slews in the right direction but then angles at the ground. Equally carrying on to the 2nd star slews in the right direction then angles at the ground. The angle looks about right but reversed. Any help enthusiastically received. Many thanks.

There's a dedicated thread for AZ-GTi owners you should check out here it is likely that you have the scope mounted on one side but the firmware loaded is for the other side.

Check what firmware version you have first before trying to update it.