Celestron motorised focuser for SCT and EdgeHD

• 7 months later...

I've had mine on the scope for three or four weeks now.  It was very easy to fit and the software loaded easily and works well in conjunction with SGPro via ASCOM.  However (and this all may reflect my lack of abilities!) in fitting it I completely lost  focus and being unwilling to remove the imaging gear I had to regain focus by taking lots of Frame & Focus images in SGPro.  That took quite a while.  At that point I could get very close to a good focus by fiddling with the SGPro settings manually.  That was a great improvement on turning the focus knob by hand.  It's then taken me a while to get autofocus working well so that it happens automatically between filters.  I've had some useful help from people on the SGPro forum getting the right parameters (backlash, step size, etc.) for the EdgeHD.

The unit is quite heavy and I had to resort to adding strips of lead at the front of the scope to balance it.  After recommendations in this forum I purchased a long Vixen V-bar that has allowed me to move the scope forward on the mount and remove about 5Kg of balancing weights I had on there!

In summary I'm very happy with the purchase.

• 10 months later...

Any opinion on best approach, buy  celestron motor for 11" xlt   or buy baader/moonlight  then reuse my primaluce sesto senso 2 on the baader

The  celestron is obviously cheaper and I could run it from  my eagle but would it be as accurate as a baader?

answering my own question, I already have a Sesto Senso  focus controler, looking  on the primaluce website they offer it as an option to the SCT they sell coupled  with a feather touch so I may go down that route. The argument against  having a moonlight  etc is that it uses up back focus , no idea if it's a real world consideration just what I  read.

• 4 months later...
On 26/07/2020 at 11:13, billhinge said:

answering my own question, I already have a Sesto Senso  focus controler, looking  on the primaluce website they offer it as an option to the SCT they sell coupled  with a feather touch so I may go down that route. The argument against  having a moonlight  etc is that it uses up back focus , no idea if it's a real world consideration just what I  read.

The Senso (and the Celestron motor focus) look interesting - I am not sure about back focus issues using a moonlight.  I have one and no problems fitted to my CPC925.  The bigger issue for me is the space it takes up leaves little room for other equipment in the optical chain because of fork clearance

I see you went ahead and the Senso... i am going to change from the moonlight (it's brilliant but I need the fork clearance) and quite interested in the Senso... How is it working for you and also does it fit directly to your scope without the need for something like the Feathertouch also?