Narrowband

Do they dim the lights after midnight?

emadmoussa

Last night, while observing, I noticed that around 11-ish the glow towards Manchester dimmed slightly. I was wondering if the motorway lights are switched off (thinking M65), or Manchester Airport's has some sort of curfew and the runway illumination is reduced. Or, maybe everyone just went to sleep? ;) 

I also noticed there was a noticeable little white dome of light towards my town centre. Since I was going to the shop anyway, I took a little detour to investigate. Well, the new B&M apparently fitted brilliant flashlights around its car park. In principle, this is not a problem. However, one look at those lights and you immediately wonder: "what kind of a clueless idiot would do that...?" The lights literally point horizontally or slightly tilted towards the sky. I'd understand if we're being attacked by air, but last time I checked, cars actually move on the ground.  

Probably writing a letter to the manager is due.  

My son works for a supermarket chain and in terms of planning "clueless" is an understatement given some of the situations he encounters. "Blue sky thinking" seems to be an expression bandied about many a meetings is beyond many, so:"dark sky thinking" doesn't stand a chance!

I have found that lighting is not understood by council planners or installers.

It might be worth taking a glance at the planning application for the B&M building. Usually outside lights will be shown. Location and intensity.
If the company has deviated from what was agreed, you can ask the council to intervene.
Usually the planning applications are available online for years.

A letter to the manager pointing out the of stupidity of lighting the sky may not have much effect. For example the premises may be rented and B&M have no influence on car park lighting.
I took a quick glance at the B&M corporate site. Unusually there was nothing obvious about green or environmentally friendly policies. But I didn't look far.

Often big companies have these on their sites and showing how they are going against their publicly stated policies causes red faces.

But good luck. Every little helps.

I have had a few run-ins with the the biggest polluter in my area - Nottinghamshire County Council.
Street lamps in trees. Dazzling road sigbns - don't get me started!

David.

1 minute ago, Alfian said:

My son works for a supermarket chain and in terms of planning "clueless" is an understatement given some of the situations he encounters. "Blue sky thinking" seems to be an expression bandied about many a meetings is beyond many, so:"dark sky thinking" doesn't stand a chance!

Well, for many of those people, merit and qualification are about how loud you can be. The same applies to light, how bright it can be. It's ironic that too much light is sometimes a result of a lack of enlightenment'. 

1 minute ago, Carbon Brush said:

I have found that lighting is not understood by council planners or installers.

It might be worth taking a glance at the planning application for the B&M building. Usually outside lights will be shown. Location and intensity.
If the company has deviated from what was agreed, you can ask the council to intervene.
Usually the planning applications are available online for years.

A letter to the manager pointing out the of stupidity of lighting the sky may not have much effect. For example the premises may be rented and B&M have no influence on car park lighting.
I took a quick glance at the B&M corporate site. Unusually there was nothing obvious about green or environmentally friendly policies. But I didn't look far.

Often big companies have these on their sites and showing how they are going against their publicly stated policies causes red faces.

But good luck. Every little helps.

I have had a few run-ins with the the biggest polluter in my area - Nottinghamshire County Council.

David.

I actually had a success story with our local Tesco's about 4 years ago in my previous town. I spoke with the local MP, who, thankfully, was a lady of respectable intellectual prowess. :) Then, I spoke with the store manager, who was also somewhat understanding. Eventually, after a lot of nagging by the MP and I, Tesco's put caps on their car park's lights. It made a difference, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Oh please, do go on. How have you found the roll out of street lighting in the county? ?

Best Regards,
Steve

Where we live we have, when it's not cloudy and raining, stunning night skies but it's slowly changing, one of my neighbours has recently fitted two spotlights one on a shed and one abover her door, they flicker on and off in the slightest brezze while my next door  neighbour has just installed a 500 watt spotlight at the top of two sets of steps so he can see coming up them, but he's got a fence in the way so halfway up the steps  I'm now blinded, clueless is putting it mildly.

Haven't heard what the two occupants opposite think about having their houses bathed in light.

We aslo have a fish farm across the loch where they feed the poor salmond day and night and have large lamps shining throughout the winter nights, for some reason they where pointed upwards shinging across the loch lighting up our houses, the evirnomental services were asked if they could get then to tilt them down again but didn't have much luck and the only advice was not to give my name to the fish farm manager?

A quick call to the Norwegian, UK, company head office where I was put through to the CEO's PA elicited an apology and a promise to rectify the problem, two days later the lights were shielded once again but even better than before.

As for the neghbours lights? your guess is as good as mine as to their life span.

I looked outside the window towards the glow and suddenly, bang, it went off. I think B&M do turn the lights off after they've closed. That's good. 

My neighbours also turn their garden lights off about 11pm. They're nice enough, I think I'll have a word with them as there's so reason whatsoever for the damn thing to stay on that late. 

The sprawl of building is slowly advancing towards the part of the county I live in. I've noticed that many of the newly constructed large shopping centers are installing newer lighting that points down and the bulbs are recessed up so you don't see it like the old 'let's light up everything we can" versions.

But there is so much already existing nearby that light pollution will be a problem forever.

Archived