Narrowband

Hallalujah, a clear sky!

kirkster501

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Gina said:

Clear skies here last night for a change but I'm still confined to indoors with a bad cough.  My bedroom faces south with quite a large window so I can see a fair slice of sky from my bed.  I happened to be awake 6am-ish and could see a very bright point of light which I think could have been Venus.

Yes, I'm fairly sure that would have been Venus, Gina.  I saw it myself at about 6:15 this morning.

James

42 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

That's half the battle .... the token clear night we get every six weeks is an equipment night to get stuff working again.  By the time we have, it's either A, time to get to bed to go to work following day or B. clouded over again ?

I need to dedicate a night to getting things right but it's so hard to do with so few clear nights and the itch to image is strong. 

I captured some subs on the 3rd and then thought I'd be well on the way to finishing with the G & B, but looked this morning in PI and the seeing was terrible although the stars were visible and had to reject all of the L, so back to square one again, another opportunity possible for tonight for a few hours.

May also have to go back to using a LP filter which I really didn't want to.

After work it was slightly cloudy but I could still see stars. I decided tonight was perfect to get the spacing on my Flattener sorted. 

I've finally got it to an "acceptable" level to me so I'm grabbing a few 10 second subs on the double cluster as this will be a good test run for flatness. 

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

After work it was slightly cloudy but I could still see stars. I decided tonight was perfect to get the spacing on my Flattener sorted. 

I've finally got it to an "acceptable" level to me so I'm grabbing a few 10 second subs on the double cluster as this will be a good test run for flatness. 

And here's the results. Just gave it a quick stretch after stacking without flats as my light panel is broken.

110 X 10 second subs

c14 10 seconds 0.8x.jpg

Only just recovered from Tuesday night; I setup at 6pm and was up till 3am :). Lost a couple of hours to intermittent clouds, but still the best night in weeks. Now I need a week of cloudy skies to get a chance to process the data - that shouldn't be a problem.

Is it ok to combine 30 second and 60 second subs? When it comes to taking darks I wouldn't know now whether to take darks for 30 seconds or 60 seconds or both?

I'd take 30sec darks and 60 second darks.  Stack the two different length subs separately.  Then stack the stacks.

Carole 

leaving me with all my L subs and half the reds, but no green or blue....

I always do a sequence so that if the evening is cut short I always have some of each.   This can result in insufficient data in all channels, but at least it is a finished image albeit needing another night's worth probably.

Carole 

On 10/01/2019 at 10:30, carastro said:

I always do a sequence so that if the evening is cut short I always have some of each.   This can result in insufficient data in all channels, but at least it is a finished image albeit needing another night's worth probably.

Carole 

Agreed Carole, I am coming round to that way of thinking and its enabled by having par focal filters so not having to refocus every sub.

On 10/01/2019 at 10:30, carastro said:

Carole 

Yes, I’ve always imaged in that way, as I always want to have something to show my friends and family, rather than lots of unfinished projects. It just means that I am currently resigned to having total integration times measured minutes rather than hours.

@kirkster501 @tomato

I have found that binning the coloured data also helps speed things up.  Generally I put the main effort into Ha or luminance and do either 150secs binned or 300secs binned for RGB Oiii and Sii depending on the target or my location.

You do of course need software to re-size and register the data during post processing.  In the UK we can't rely on clear skies so have to maximise the opportunities when we get them.

Carole 

Archived