Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

kirkster501

Hallalujah, a clear sky!

Posted (edited)

At last, first for about 6 weeks.  Grabbing a load of 2 min subs of LRGB on M42 with the wide field rig.  Quick and dirty to get soemthing in the can to have a go at processing with.  It's been that desperate of late in Nottingham!

1122747478_Screenshot2019-01-08at20_24_16.thumb.png.0a31055a67372cc2243a259de8cffada.png

a sub at last!

2070233451_Screenshot2019-01-08at20_29_02.thumb.png.d415e54860c135efc52bc00a64d806fc.png

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 13

Just got started and clouds arrive, typical. Hope it will clear again soon...

BOB.

Yup, same here, but seems to be clear at the moment.  It's forecast to last until 9pm, but as last night was supposed to be cloud and instead it was clear from about 11.30 to 3am, I am not trusting forecasts.

Carole 

Posted (edited)

It is wonderful out at the minute, just been for a walk around the block with my daughter.  How we grovel for a few scraps thrown off the table.......

Edited by kirkster501

...my guiding is also all over the place so can't be that good seeing.  But beggars cannot be choosers.

Shhh! Don't jinx it! First decent night in a couple of months here too...

rps20190108_212230.thumb.jpg.7738785771b188ee52da046e1eb45e04.jpg

• Like 1

Clear here, too, but tonight is the first night in a month that I have to work late :(  Once I have the observatory up and running and all networked up that will not be a problem, at least.

James

Was clear here for about 10 minutes.:clouds1:

Posted (edited)

Well forecasts seem to be working in reverse.

Over the last two nights it has been cloudy when it was supposed to be clear and clear when it was supposed to be cloudy!!!!!

Still clear here at the moment but was supposed to have clouded up at 10pm.  Not complaining though.

Had the biggest plane ever through one of my subs, must have been quite low.

Carole 

Plane Jan 2019.jpg

Edited by carastro

I have a target for tonight! I got a 55-200 lens for christmas and this is test #1. Beautiful night so far so finger's crossed!

unknown.png?width=1173&height=660

Also, your subs are better than my whole stacks!😅

Clear here too. Had a bit of a faff trying to get alignment working for some reason. Eventually started imaging the Rosette at 10pm, went for 30 second subs because of trailling and did half an hour of them, only 30 seconds because I was getting trailling but I think that might have been resolved now after sorting a couple of things as I've just tried 3 x 60 second exposures and they are fine. But unguided 60 seconds is as long as I want to go unguided, 90 second subs and beyond and I'll be throwing lots of subs away. 

Is it ok to combine 30 second and 60 second subs? When it comes to taking darks I wouldn't know now whether to take darks for 30 seconds or 60 seconds or both?

And hallelujah for clear skies, finally!

I know i went to a less light polluted place to observe earlier and it was clear!

pfff wind rain and cloud here nothing new 😛

• Sad 1

It was really looking promising today. Started setting up as soon as I got home from work. A bit of faffing around getting my target framed as I have to rotate the entire scope in its rings. Eventually started soaking up OIII photons at 8pm. Guiding was great! Got 16 x 200s subs and the Duvet returned above!!! Persevering still and grabbing a few scraps from in between. We have no choice really!

It's finally clear for the first time this year too. I'm struggling with spacing on my new (to me) adjustable flat4. It's all the way out but stars still indicate its too close. 

Ended up just accepting it and I'll crop out the edges. 

Posted (edited)

flat4. It's all the way out but stars still indicate its too close. 

Ended up just accepting it and I'll crop out the edges. 

I hate that, I've been messing around with spacing for years and never got it right, and I think finally tonight I have nailed it.  Much of the time was due to swapping kit around and not having a spacer of the correct size, so was trying to use a variable spacer, but with all the swapping around it invariably got shifted.  Now it's right with a fixed spacer I am never changing it again!!!

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

a touch noisy but here's a simple colour image created from a single sub of LRGB (600s, 3x300s) through my 150mm refractor... 

image.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just went to retrieve cat from the garden and was greeted by a glittering starscape. 

Ran in to get the 10x42s and had a quick tour of winter favourites, open clusters in Gemini and Auriga, Bode and Cigar, M42 (tried for M78 but no joy), Pleiades, Swordhandle, Andromeda and then, just for a laugh, tried for M33 and there it was, loud and (almost) clear - no spiral shape visible but a definite oval of light. 

Edited by Ludd

14 minutes ago, carastro said:

I hate that, I've been messing around with spacing for years and never got it right, and I think finally tonight I have nailed it.  Much of the time was due to swapping kit around and not having a spacer of the correct size, so was trying to use a variable spacer, but with all the swapping around it invariably got shifted.  Now it's right with a fixed spacer I am never changing it again!!!

Carole 

I'll get it right one day, but I do t want to waste a full clear night messing around 

do t want to waste a full clear night messing around 

Agree, crop the edges this time and get it right for next time.

Carole 

Just imagine night after night of clear skies, there would be none of this elation being expressed here at seeing some stars :icon_mrgreen:

True, but there is a limit.  Lol  

It also makes a change for clear skies to coincide with a newish Moon.

Carole 

I was also clear for me last night but I had just started my 2 week stint of night shifts 🙄

Clear skies here last night for a change but I'm still confined to indoors with a bad cough.  My bedroom faces south with quite a large window so I can see a fair slice of sky from my bed.  I happened to be awake 6am-ish and could see a very bright point of light which I think could have been Venus.  Then around 6:10 I saw a streak of light from the top of the window ending in the middle which I think must have been a meteor 😀  I've been out at night looking for them in the past and maybe seen one or two very faint ones but now a really bright one from my bed!!  Amazing!

• Like 1

It didn't last and clouded over at 22:50 leaving me with all my L subs and half the reds, but no green or blue....  Oh well, that'll be it for another two months I bet....