SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC59-63 The Ghost of Cassiopeia and "Breaking Wave" nebula mosaic

Barry-Wilson

I am pleased to have completed another goal with this 4 panel mosaic of the Gamma Cass evocative nebula "The Ghost" and the surrounding Ha nebula that wraps wave-like around the beautiful blue glow of Gamma Cass. I was inspired after seeing Olly Penrice's image back in 2017, here.

Steve and I have persevered with weather since late October 2018 to bring together 88 hours of data. A marathon processing evening yesterday gave me the main image with finishing touches after work today. We have a vague notion to fill out the mosaic and to connect to NGC281 . . . but not just yet thank goodness.

On my Astrobin page I have also posted a rotated version to better see the "Breaking Wave", https://astrob.in/385005/0/.

Thanks for looking & enjoy the full resolution and the sharp optics of the Tak FSQ106.

Details:

• Tak FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • SGP & PI
  • Ha 84 x 1200s; Lum 144 x 600s; RGB 74 x 600s each

IC59_63_LumHaRGB_Ghost.thumb.jpg.dd68b82d3d94cdf462d4c469b619123b.jpg

• Like 29

Very moody rendition Barry, lovely job. That's certainly some marathon, both of data collection and processing! Interesting to see that you have both Ha and Lum data - do you mix them for the final Lum? For recent projects I have been creating a SuperLum in APP using all subs - it seems to be working quite well. Interested to know what your approach is.

2 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Very moody rendition Barry, lovely job. That's certainly some marathon, both of data collection and processing! Interesting to see that you have both Ha and Lum data - do you mix them for the final Lum? For recent projects I have been creating a SuperLum in APP using all subs - it seems to be working quite well. Interested to know what your approach is.

Thanks Gav.  In this instance the two channels were kept and applied separately.  I have and do produce a blend of Lum and Ha using PixelMath, setting the output for greyscale, but it all depends on the target and the contributions of the two channels, as you'd expect.  Ha can sometimes create havoc with delicate blue reflection nebula and one goal was to retain the RGB combined blue in and around the Ghost.

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a very nice mosaic, Barry - so much going on and well worth the effort you've put into it.

Much appreciated Steve - your Esprit 150 would  make a lovely Ghost (if you haven't imaged it already).  A four panel mosaic or larger is still an undertaking even when you have a greater frequency of clear skies; planning when to collect Ha, when to collect the Blues etc is all important if you are aiming to stretch your technique.

• Like 1

Wow! How did I miss this one?! 

Insert a collection of adjectives, positive in nature, here ?

Why do I like it? The handling of the star of course, and it's apparent illumination of the surrounding ISM and nebulosity.

Great work ?

David

On 11/01/2019 at 07:30, David_L said:

Wow! How did I miss this one?! 

Insert a collection of adjectives, positive in nature, here ?

Why do I like it? The handling of the star of course, and it's apparent illumination of the surrounding ISM and nebulosity.

Great work ?

David

Cheers David . . . the dark skies at e-Eye really do help with the faint stuff.

That is an excellent mosaik Barry. Impressive! But, I am a bit confused about the breaking wave. Not sure where it is. You say the vesion on Astrobin is rotaded to show it better but it is not rotated.

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is an excellent mosaik Barry. Impressive! But, I am a bit confused about the breaking wave. Not sure where it is. You say the vesion on Astrobin is rotaded to show it better but it is not rotated.

Thanks Goran. Versions B and D on Astrobin are rotated 90 degrees.

In this orientation Gamma Cas is at the ‘top’ of the vertical frame and the Ha sweeps around the star in an arc ?.

On 09/01/2019 at 17:50, Barry-Wilson said:

Much appreciated Steve - your Esprit 150 would  make a lovely Ghost (if you haven't imaged it already). 

I haven't tried it yet - with clear skies at such a premium at the moment, I'm trying to finish existing projects but it's great to have this region brought to my attention for the second time.

• 10 months later...