Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First clear morning in ages...

emadmoussa

My house is towards the sun, literally, and that's the edge of the Peak District. Nice skies in that direction, somewhat rubbish in the opposite one ;) 

Since you've got something new to try, then it's settled...clouds all over... 

Just now, MarsG76 said:

What about near zenith?

I'd say dark. It's basically dark to dark-ish in the East, most of north and South. I have limitations, though, because of houses, trees, neighbour's lights, etc..the usual stuff. Towards Manchester, pointing the scope below 50-deg is probably a waste of time if you want to see faint DSOs. 

Here it's getting worse and worse for astro but my plan for 2019 is back to astro imaging (Bortle 3 skies convinced me to try astro imaging and I got some reasonable images a few years ago).  Not yet though, a bad cough is keeping me indoors in the warm!!  Always something!  Not that the weather would allow any astronomy!

36 minutes ago, Gina said:

Here it's getting worse and worse for astro but my plan for 2019 is back to astro imaging (Bortle 3 skies convinced me to try astro imaging and I got some reasonable images a few years ago).  Not yet though, a bad cough is keeping me indoors in the warm!!  Always something!  Not that the weather would allow any astronomy!

You and me too Gina. It became nice and clear around 9pm last night but I felt too ill to open the Dome.

Steve

I almost missed it. Just a few moments outside with a coffee watching Jove and Venus rise above the treetops and Acturus overhead before it all faded into sunlight.
Fingers crossed for his eve. Must get organised with a list rather than my usual swing about in the excitement.

Frustrating - the BBC weather forecasts have been diabolically misleading for the night skies in Devon the last 2 weeks, several times clear or semi-clear nights predicted only to see non-stop blankets of cloud. 

I've found that the "live" cloud satellite imaging website Sat24 helps a lot, here you can see in real time the cloud situation for your part of the UK and how it's projected to move, and this may give you a much better indication of the night skies ahead rather than relying on BBC forecasts or the like. Here's the link to the website:
https://en.sat24.com/en

Martin 

Archived