SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS Temp Storage

TheMan

I recently found out about the amazing drizzle feature in DSS. So I bought a 3tb hard drive for the temp storage and later for photo storage. But even with 2.7tb of space for temp files it isn't enough for the stacking process. Is there a way to use 2 different storage devices for the DSS temp files?

The only thing I can think of is if you have intermediate files turned on that would create alot of files each stacking attempt.

inter.png.f2ed0555a264f53486cf1e39abfc8b35.png

But to be honest even with that turned on you shouldn't be running out of space. What specific error are you getting when stacking?

How much free space do you have on your main windows drive? Its possible I guess that its still using that for some sort of swap space.

DSS can be finicky, and usually a re-install sorts it out - but other than the above im out of ideas.

If the error is referring to memory, rather than space, it might be complaining about not having enough RAM. It seems odd that it would allow you to continue processing the image if it has worked out that there isn't enough space so im thinking this may be the actual problem. It would also account for the long processing time.

7 minutes ago, TheMan said:

Well thanks anyway, i'll try looking through some settings and re-installing. But I doubt DSS would be asking for 2500+ gb of RAM. ;)

Yeah its not going to need that much, but it might need more than say 2gb for a job like that with drizzle. It could do it with less, but that's where the delay comes into it - constantly loading files between storage and ram is time consuming. If your new drive is external there may also be a delay in transferring the data over USB etc. When I hook up my usb drive it really slows down the stacking process.

Stacking 300 subs on my system with drizzle, using Flash storage and 16gb ram takes just under an hour and a half.

Archived