SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Large magellanic cloud

Atreta

Hi everyone, 

been a while since a post an image due to the rainy season here in Brazil and also my lack of patience to mount everything up because of all the heat (summertime, about 40c durin the day and sometimes 30c at night).

this is a stack  from 3 different nights, making a total of 2h 45 min( i plan to add some more data to it).

According to wikipedia:

"The Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) is a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way.[5] At a distance of about 50 kiloparsecs (≈163,000 light-years),[2][6][7][8] the LMC is the second- or third-closest galaxy to the Milky Way, after the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal (~16 kpc) and the possible dwarf irregular galaxy known as the Canis Major Overdensity. Based on readily visible stars and a mass of approximately 10 billion solar masses, the diameter of the LMC is about 14,000 light-years (4.3 kpc), making it roughly one one-hundredth as massive as the Milky Way.[3] This makes the LMC the fourth-largest galaxy in the Local Group, after the Andromeda Galaxy (M31), the Milky Way, and the Triangulum Galaxy (M33)."

This was taken with a canon t5i and a 135mm tokina lens, i had to crop a good portion because of different stacking orientation. 

Hope you like it.

lmc.thumb.jpg.1b25bc2749d648f5ee196dfae3c2853d.jpg

1 hour ago, TheMan said:

Oooh. So pretty.

thank you, TheMan

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Very impressive, Frank.

Thanks for sharing an object "we northerners" don't get to see.

Thank you, DP. I'll try to get more southern objects imaged. there are some beautiful ones out there :)

15 hours ago, AstroFin said:

An outstanding image! You’re lucky to have access to the southern skies. ?

Thank you, AstroFin

6 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Just Wow.

Cheers,
Steve

Thank You, Steve

3 hours ago, Taff said:

What a very nice capture with you nice and clear.Mark

Thank you, Mark

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:10, Atreta said:

sometimes 30c at night

I don't know what that does to the 'seeing', but I can see that being easier to persuade myself to observe in than the sub-zero temps we currently have in the UK.  I like your image - it looks like someone's cast a tin of grey paint in the sky.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2019 at 09:46, Rush said:

Hi,

here is an attempt on LMC from Namibia.

Sony A7/FSQ 106.

Cs

Rush

1123735035_LMC_A7copy.jpg.9088955468ad94940ce7b50d997fbdde.jpg

Nice catch, how was the temperature over there? 

On 22/01/2019 at 10:21, JOC said:

I don't know what that does to the 'seeing', but I can see that being easier to persuade myself to observe in than the sub-zero temps we currently have in the UK.  I like your image - it looks like someone's cast a tin of grey paint in the sky.

The seeing is ok often timrs, what is hard is the heat noise. It messes up the processing, I'll upload a comparison from a 40c sensor picture and a 34c sensor. The difference is huge. I wish i could get my dslr cooled down, it would sure make things easier. 

On 22/01/2019 at 21:11, Seanelly said:

Magellan himself would be proud of this!

Thanks

On 23/01/2019 at 07:20, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. I wish it were visible from up here!

Olly

Thanks, it would be great to see a large magellanic cloud capture from you. I was planning to add more imaging time, but skies are not very good so far. 

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:07, Atreta said:

Nice catch, how was the temperature over there? 

The seeing is ok often timrs, what is hard is the heat noise. It messes up the processing, I'll upload a comparison from a 40c sensor picture and a 34c sensor. The difference is huge. I wish i could get my dslr cooled down, it would sure make things easier. 

Thanx Frank, Day time +17 to 24 °C late night below freezing Point ?.

I do use a cooled 600 Da at times and is much better than the uncooled ones in summer.

Now i use more a Sony A7 which is less noisy for a full Frame cam compared to a Canon EOS i feel.

Cooling and dithering will improve to a resaonable extent.

Cheers

Rush

Archived