Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

L or another LP filter?

This is very important question for me as it may help me in my imaging later.

I am planning to buy Astrodon LRGB filters beside NB filters ofcourse, but because i am under light pollution area i don't know how much bad it can be for L filter at least, so do you recommend me to use another L filter or light pollution filter instead of this Lum filter in LP? and how much difference or improvement it may give?

For example CLS or L-Pro or anything else, I even saw IDAS and Astronomik have narrower L filter than standard one, will there be any difference then or any filter not NB will be completely useless in LP mainly L?

Thanks

How bad is your LP? If you look up on a clear night, what's the magnitude of the dimmest stars you can see? I can see magnitude 3 or 4 under our skies and have never felt the need for an LP filter. My personal preference would be to not use one: it would inevitably filter out some of the light I do want as well as light that I don't.

Have you taken any images yet and if so is LP an issue. 

I am in a similar position but have not yet captured any photos so am going to give it a whirl without any additional LP filters and assess from there. 

I’d always avoid putting more glass in the image train wherever possible. Also check out the Baader LRGB filters - they are very good and much cheaper than the Astrodon ones. 

Archived