SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece for 120ed

rhw1967

2 hours ago, rhw1967 said:

Secondly was the quality and sharpness of what I was seeing through them. Now sure if it's me, but I found the cheaper BSTs to be clearer for me

Is that the case with both X-CelLXs? I had the 7mm and at the time thought it was better corrected than the 8mm Starguider. I also thought the 5 and 12mm Starguiders were a touch better so it isn't that all eyepieces in a range are equal. It might also have been the old scope that was the issue and you might find better performance of the 7 in the 120ED. 

If you are looking for top quality eyepieces for monoviewing then I don't think you will really go wrong with either the XW or Morpheus eyepieces but if you're willing to sacrifice FoV then the Vixen SLV range are reportedly of the same quality. 

I would also consider Ultra Flat Field and the Nirvana-ES ranges. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Is that the case with both X-CelLXs? I had the 7mm and at the time thought it was better corrected than the 8mm Starguider. I also thought the 5 and 12mm Starguiders were a touch better so it isn't that all eyepieces in a range are equal. It might also have been the old scope that was the issue and you might find better performance of the 7 in the 120ED. 

If you are looking for top quality eyepieces for monoviewing then I don't think you will really go wrong with either the XW or Morpheus eyepieces but if you're willing to sacrifice FoV then the Vixen SLV range are reportedly of the same quality. 

I would also consider Ultra Flat Field and the Nirvana-ES ranges. 

Will be honest, had seen some Nirvana EPs on ebay, but had never heard of them before.

Another to add to my list to research.. thanks ?

11 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Will be honest, had seen some Nirvana EPs on ebay, but had never heard of them before.

Another to add to my list to research.. thanks ?

Nirvana eyepieces are Skywatcher's 82 degree range. They are pretty good eyepieces, the same as the William Optics UWAN's (and other brandings) and not far off the famous Naglers in terms of performance but a lot less expensive. I've used them quite a bit in my ED120.

The Nirvana-ES is a new release of this design. It's body is a different shape but the optics may well be the same. I just wish there were a few more focal lengths in the range. Currently they are: 28mm (2 inch format), 16mm, 7mm and 4mm.

If you need to wear glasses when observing then 82 and 100 degree eyepieces are probably not going to suit you because the eye relief (the distance that the eye needs to be from the top lens of the eyepiece) tends to be shorter than 68/70 degree designs. With your glasses between your eye and the eyepiece lens, you will probably not be able to see the whole of an 82 or 100 degree field of view.

36 minutes ago, John said:

Nirvana eyepieces are Skywatcher's 82 degree range. They are pretty good eyepieces, the same as the William Optics UWAN's (and other brandings) and not far off the famous Naglers in terms of performance but a lot less expensive. I've used them quite a bit in my ED120.

The Nirvana-ES is a new release of this design. It's body is a different shape but the optics may well be the same. I just wish there were a few more focal lengths in the range. Currently they are: 28mm (2 inch format), 16mm, 7mm and 4mm.

If you need to wear glasses when observing then 82 and 100 degree eyepieces are probably not going to suit you because the eye relief (the distance that the eye needs to be from the top lens of the eyepiece) tends to be shorter than 68/70 degree designs. With your glasses between your eye and the eyepiece lens, you will probably not be able to see the whole of an 82 or 100 degree field of view.

I'd noticed after looking them up there was a limited choice in focal length within the range and you mentioning me wearing glasses (as have others) brings up a good point...

Am shortsighted so wear glasses (as previously mentioned my right eye isn't much use) although around the house and reading, etc , I don't wear them... Was wondering what kind of impact on my glasses would have on my viewing and that makes sense. I guess buying a 100 degree EP for hundreds of pounds is out then ???? my partner will be relieved ... Haha

8 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Am shortsighted so wear glasses

If you are "only" short sighted then you will probably find that you can observe perfectly well without glasses, you'll just need to refocus compared to other people. If you also have astigmatism then you might need glasses for some or all exit pupils. 

If you do wear glasses then you will be restricted to those eyepieces that have enough eye relief for you. For reference I think the X-Cel LXs have 16mm, although some of this may be lost if the eyecup sits higher than the lens. With eye cups in the down position there will be more chance of light being able to reflect off the eye lens so an observing hood is probably a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

If you are "only" short sighted then you will probably find that you can observe perfectly well without glasses, you'll just need to refocus compared to other people. If you also have astigmatism then you might need glasses for some or all exit pupils. 

If you do wear glasses then you will be restricted to those eyepieces that have enough eye relief for you. For reference I think the X-Cel LXs have 16mm, although some of this may be lost if the eyecup sits higher than the lens. With eye cups in the down position there will be more chance of light being able to reflect off the eye lens so an observing hood is probably a good idea. 

Yep, it's just shortsightedness as opposed to anything else... I do go blind after a large amount of beers too but that's a different story ????

I honestly hadn't considered how wearing glasses would impact, it hasn't really so far but assume with time and age it will eventually and I won't always be able to refocus enough ?

Another vote for the Morpheus 17.5.  Just bought one of these and have already spent some great time with it and my TEC 140 on deep sky.  I use mostly TV Delos and Tak orthos, so I know what a good eyepiece delivers ... in my view, this is a really good eyepiece and terrific value. I bit the bullet and bought another for the binoviewer. ?

For planetary viewing, what are people's experiences with the best EPs ?

Have been offered an ES 4.7mm for a decent price, but from reading around am concerned it won't be used that much and perhaps I should go 5 or 8mm.

Any thoughts or alternatives ?

My fixed FL eyepieces for planetary viewing with the ED120 are:

Ethos 6mm, Pentax XW 5mm, Pentax 3.5mm, Nagler zoom 2mm-4mm.

But I've also been using this zoom + barlow combination with great success:

The ED120 can support some high magnifications when the seeing is good and the target benefits from it. Zooming is great to find out just where the "sweet spot" lies at a particular time :smiley:

43 minutes ago, John said:

My fixed FL eyepieces for planetary viewing with the ED120 are:

Ethos 6mm, Pentax XW 5mm, Pentax 3.5mm, Nagler zoom 2mm-4mm.

But I've also been using this zoom + barlow combination with great success:

The ED120 can support some high magnifications when the seeing is good and the target benefits from it. Zooming is great to find out just where the "sweet spot" lies at a particular time :smiley:

Thanks John, that's a great read, and sounds like something I should be looking at.... ?

I remember you saying before that the ed120 will be great supporting high magnifications so hopefully with cooperating skies I will be able to see some wonderful sights.

If you are at all worried about eye relief and glasses, look no further than the Delos range. They have a unique (to my limited knowledge) eyecup adjustment mechanism where, along with the soft rubber eyecup, a sizeable chunk of metal can be slid up/down to taste and clamps in place. Rock solid and probably the most comfortable range of eyepieces I’ve ever looked through.

As you would expect for the price, they are top performers across the 72° fov. However, they only go up to 17.3mm.

Star parties are a good ground for trying  load of eyepieces and seeing what works for you.

Paul

Archived