Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece for 120ed

rhw1967

So, have just purchased an Evostar 120ed.

The EPs I have at the moment are...

SW Panaview 2" 32mm.

X-Cel 18mm and 7mm 1.25 EPs

Baader MK4 zoom (with Barlow)

X-Cel 2x Barlow

I am an observer, so don't do any kind of AP... Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for other EPs that would compliment these or are a must have....been thinking of a BST 5mm too 

Thanks for any advice

Richard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm enjoying spending your money Richard!

The best sort of spending!

I really liked the Televue Panoptic 24mm in my old 120ED. It just felt right. The Baader Zoom, although a cracking bit of kit, felt very claustrophobic at the longer end of things. For some reason. Big eyepieces just seem cumbersome in the longer scope. The field of view is generous, but this scope isn’t going to be a hyper wide field wonder. So why force things?

But, the very best eyepiece in the 120 was a Herschel Wedge for white light solar work! The Baader 2” Ceramic is the best i’ve Seen on one of these scopes (although the Lunt 1 1/4” is splendid for less than half the price). The zoom works really well with this.

Paul

17 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Pentax XW's at 20mm 10mm, 5mm and 3.5mm are outstanding (first light optics have the best price I believe)

Or, Hyperion 24mm plus the Baader Morpheus range.

I'm enjoying spending your money Richard!

Hahaha thanks Mike.

I told the Mrs that you said I HAD to have the 120ed so I'll just carry on blaming you when I buy some EPs ?

Cheers again

I have a 120ed and have gone through many eyepieces.

I'm now settled on 26mm nagler.  17mm ethos. 

They are my goto e yepieces most of the time and l can spend all night star hopping with just these. 

?

I've had a Skywatcher ED120 for a few years now. Really super scope !

I've a couple of sets of eyepieces that I use with it, mostly Tele Vue and Pentax (Ethos / XW / Delos etc). Focal lengths / TFoV range from 40mm / 3 degrees to 2mm / very small indeed !

The scopes optics are excellent and can usefully use up to (and beyond occasionally !) 300x.

11 minutes ago, John said:

I've a couple of sets of eyepieces that I use with it, mostly Tele Vue and Pentax (Ethos / XW / Delos etc). Focal lengths / TFoV range from 40mm / 3 degrees to 2mm / very small indeed !

The scopes optics are excellent and can usefully use up to (and beyond occasionally !) 300x.

Wow. In my light polluted town I've never gone above 225 x mag. 

But saying that the detail at 180 x mag is amazing.

24 minutes ago, John said:

As a matter of interest john.

What 40mm ep do you use on your 120ed?

Paul 

9 minutes ago, djpaul said:

As a matter of interest john.

What 40mm ep do you use on your 120ed?

Paul 

I have recently acquired a 40mm Aero ED (or a clone of it at least). Very nice eyepiece at F/7.5 and even in my F/5.3 dob. I do also have a Nagler 31 and Ethos 21 but the 40mm is a lot lighter and it's lovely to just pan around with it when the sky is dark.

I don't find that light pollution affects the magnifications that you can use (I do have some LP here) but steady seeing is the key and a target that benefits from pushing the power on (eg: Mars, double stars, the Moon, Saturn but not so much Jupiter)

I'd love to get up to 300 x mag on saturn or mars. 

I suppose it's a case of being out on the perfect evening. 

Going back to the original question asked on this thread I can recommend televue delos. But you may want to upgrade the focuser at some point.

It makes a 120ed which is a good scope into a fantastic scope in my opinion. 

I've heard the suggestion that people might want to upgrade the focuser on SW ED's numerous times. Personally I've never had a problem with the ED focusers that couldnt easily be resolved, and I've owned five ED's over the years. It may be that when using heavy eyepieces while observing around the zenith, the Crayford focuser may slip under the weight. I had this issue with all the ED's I've owned, but by gently increasing the friction on the draw tube by gently tightening the Allen screws equally on the top side of the focuser body, all my ED's would hold my 31mm Nagler without issue in any position. And the focuser still remained smooth during focusing.

Richard, you have already made some good choices in eyepieces, and there are many other suggestions already.

I'd be quite content with your choice I think - bearing in mind I have limited funds.  However, I would mention the Morpheus 17.5 mm - a superb 76 degree eyepiece and by far the best of this focal length for those who wear glass particularly and for anyone who wants the most comfortable and well corrected view - though other eyepieces are available of course :laugh2:.  I posted a review of this eyepiece on SGL and on the FLO listing.  Even better, William (Bill) Paolini  has a fine review posted here on SGL  As a glasses wearer myself it's easily the best and most pleasing and comfortable eyepiece I have used in over 45 years - if I could only use one eyepiece, this would be it by a long chalk for me.

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

However, I would mention the Morpheus 17.5 mm - a superb 76 degree eyepiece and by far the best of this focal length for those who wear glass particularly and for anyone who wants the most comfortable and well corrected view - though other eyepieces are available of course :laugh2:.

Them's fightin' words. ?  Although I haven't looked through a 17.5mm Morpheus, I do have the 14mm and 9mm versions.  While they are nice indeed, the 17mm (and 12mm) ES-92s blow them out of the water for edge to edge sharpness and contrast while maintaining complete comfort while viewing with eyeglasses.  Were you limiting your choices to 1.25"-only eyepieces?

As for the OP's query, it's really going to depend on his budget.  If my 18mm Meade HD-60 is any indication, that 18mm Celestron X-Cel (hopefully LX) is going to be the weak spot.  It has field curvature and noticeable astigmatism in the outer field.  He also has a gap around 12mm that could use filling.  I'd probably recommend the 12mm X-Cel LX since the 12mm HD-60 is pretty good if he likes the ergonomics of the X-Cel LXs.  The zoom probably covers this focal length pretty well already, so on second thought, perhaps a 40mm widest field eyepiece such as the 40mm Maxvision.  Once decloaked, the weight might become manageable, especially if he hangs an ankle weight around the objective end. ?

Will be honest and say I am not loving the X-Cels (yes LXs) and had been looking at ES and Baader EPs

I am shortsighted and cannot really see out of my right eye except to let in light (due to a triple retinal tear that I foolishly left too long as I didn't know what it was and I thought it would 'clear up' DOH !!)... Am also 51 and have read in other forums that this would and should be considered in my EP choice.

The Hyperion IV zoom I enjoy using,same with the 32mm Panaview. Anything else I am open to considering.

I don't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to EPs, hence me asking here.

Apologies for any ignorance on my part. Still learning ??

30 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Will be honest and say I am not loving the X-Cels (yes LXs) and had been looking at ES and Baader EPs

I am shortsighted and cannot really see out of my right eye except to let in light (due to a triple retinal tear that I foolishly left too long as I didn't know what it was and I thought it would 'clear up' DOH !!)... Am also 51 and have read in other forums that this would and should be considered in my EP choice.

The Hyperion IV zoom I enjoy using,same with the 32mm Panaview. Anything else I am open to considering.

I don't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to EPs, hence me asking here.

Apologies for any ignorance on my part. Still learning ??

First, what is it about the X-Cel LXs that you're not loving?  Viewing comfort, field of view, quality of the view, etc.?  I could recommend Pentax XW, Delos, and Morpheus eyepieces, but you might not like them either if they share similar attributes that bother you.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear about the retinal tear.  A coworker had an air bubble inserted in his eye to hold his sagging retina up while it healed.  My dad had his retina laser spot-welded back into place years ago.  I'm about your age with no known retinal issues (knock on wood).

Unless you have strong astigmatism, you really don't need to wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece unless taking them on and off to look back toward the sky or star charts bothers you immensely.  I have 2 diopters of astigmatism in my observing eye, so I really need glasses to get pinpoint stars.

No apologies necessary.  We're quite used to answering questions about eyepieces around these parts and are very willing to spend other people's money on them.

20 hours ago, rhw1967 said:

The EPs I have at the moment are...

SW Panaview 2" 32mm.

X-Cel 18mm and 7mm 1.25 EPs

Baader MK4 zoom (with Barlow)

X-Cel 2x Barlow 

Do you have the dedicated 2,25 baader barlow as well as the x-cel one?

If that's the case, then I would pass on the x-cel eyepieces and barlow, since they are overlapped ( and overtaken) by the hyperion zoom. Your high and high-medium mags are covered by this amazing zoom. For you medium mag, I would look for an es 24/68, and for low mag the panaview looks ok. If I were you, instead of investing in premium low power eyepiece, I would take the money from the x-cels, and get the dedicated ff/fr for ultra low mag.

8 minutes ago, Louis D said:

First, what is it about the X-Cel LXs that you're not loving?  Viewing comfort, field of view, quality of the view, etc.?  I could recommend Pentax XW, Delos, and Morpheus eyepieces, but you might not like them either if they share similar attributes that bother you.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear about the retinal tear.  A coworker had an air bubble inserted in his eye to hold his sagging retina up while it healed.  My dad had his retina laser spot-welded back into place years ago.  I'm about your age with no known retinal issues (knock on wood).

Unless you have strong astigmatism, you really don't need to wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece unless taking them on and off to look back toward the sky or star charts bothers you immensely.  I have 2 diopters of astigmatism in my observing eye, so I really need glasses to get pinpoint stars.

No apologies necessary.  We're quite used to answering questions about eyepieces around these parts and are very willing to spend other people's money on them.

I had the gas bubble inserted... It's called a Vitrectomy (not to confused with something else beginning with V and ending in tomy ?????)... Sadly though I had left it too late. Still see light, colours and shapes through it, but that's all. His was a few years ago and I hardly notice it now ?

For me with the X-Cels two issues. First one I purchased had what looked like black grit in it. Little black specs. Contacted the seller however and was sent a replacement right away that was perfect. But having that happen worried me, especially when I read in other forums that it has happened to others. Secondly was the quality and sharpness of what I was seeing through them. Now sure if it's me, but I found the cheaper BSTs to be clearer for me (I honestly don't mind buying cheaper or more expensive). I almost purchased a whole set of Stargliders but figured I would check and see what people recommended, but was impressed with them for their quality at the price range.

Also been pointed out to me that with my scope I need to get the best EPs I can afford, even if it means me not having a huge collection right now which I am happy to do.

Mike has recommended the Pentax EPs to me as well as supplying me with some awesome help, although my wife almost divorced me on the spot when I showed her the EPs online (she's a financial director for a large company so is such a skinflint.... Hahaha)

A few people have mentioned the Morpheus  EPs so going to have a surf around and check them out.

Really really appreciate all the help and advice I am getting ?

16 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Do you have the dedicated 2,25 baader barlow as well as the x-cel one?

If that's the case, then I would pass on the x-cel eyepieces and barlow, since they are overlapped ( and overtaken) by the hyperion zoom. Your high and high-medium mags are covered by this amazing zoom. For you medium mag, I would look for an es 24/68, and for low mag the panaview looks ok. If I were you, instead of investing in premium low power eyepiece, I would take the money from the x-cels, and get the dedicated ff/fr for ultra low mag.

Yes that's exactly right, have the Baader Barlow as well as X-Cel ?

I think that's exactly what I will do and put up the X-Cels for sale (had been thinking this for a couple of days) .. am sure they will sell and just like you say, I can put the money towards other things.

Was actually looking at some ES EPs earlier, both on eBay and retailers, and from feedback I have gotten like the look of them.

35 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Was actually looking at some ES EPs earlier, both on eBay and retailers, and from feedback I have gotten like the look of them.

Just be aware that few of them are usable with eyeglasses.

18 hours ago, John said:

I have recently acquired a 40mm Aero ED

+1 for the Aero range. I have the 30mm and it is a very nice eyepiece to use - lightweight, comfortable, very sharp on axis and little aberrations until very near the edge in my Tak FS128?.

I can also speak very highly of the Morpheus 9mm, 14mm and 17.5m, and Vixen LVW22mm (the latter and the Morph 17.5mm my 2 favourite eyepieces☺)..

Dave

42 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

+1 for the Aero range. I have the 30mm and it is a very nice eyepiece to use - lightweight, comfortable, very sharp on axis and little aberrations until very near the edge in my Tak FS128?.

Problem is, most places have sold out of the 40mm version.  That, and I have my doubts about how usable it is with eyeglasses given how recessed the eye lens is.  It claims to have 20mm of design eye relief.  Subtract out what appears to be at least 5mm of eye lens recession, and you're left with at best 15mm of ER:

270483_1_En_7_Fig20_HTML.jpg

Archived