SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at astrophotography

I've had my Celestron 8SE telescope for about 5 years but never delved into astrophotography until last night.  Being a novice at both astronomy and photography,  it was quite intimidating. After a lot of research and some trial and error I was able to shoot this image of the Orion Nebula. I had the telescope on a wood deck which is prone to movement. I'm hoping the blurriness of the stars is due to this. Tonight I will attempt again on concrete.

The camera settings were (as best I can remember) were  f4, ISO 1600 for 30 seconds.  (I really need to write this stuff down)

I must admit I didn't expect to see color. I am absolutely thrilled and encouraged with this image.  I look forward to many more awesome pictures in the future.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Ken

orion02.jpg

Nice first image and way better than my first attempt. I'm wondering what is the cause of the misshapen stars though. Possibly a collimation issue? I'm sure somebody much more experienced in these things will offer better advice. Well done though.

That's a super first image, great stuff.

I'd wait to you have another image to compare before thinking about your star shapes.

I think you used your 8SE so the f is as your telescope.

You'll probably like the No ""EQ" DSO Challenge thread.

Excellent image Ken.   Imaging with such a long focal length will amplify any wobbles or vibrations and is difficult, so well done.  

You are probably right, a wooden deck will bounce quite nicely if you move on it and explain those stars.  Once you get a-thinking about the next image and the next image ..ie. to make it better, then you are hooked........

11 hours ago, ChickenKen said:

Any pointers are greatly appreciated

Hi. Nice image. Perhaps the best way to improve the shot is to take several -good idea to move onto concrete- 30s snaps and stack them. The more frames you take, the better the image. HTH.

Archived