Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

JDc1Z-t0Cmwo_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg
Is there any dull corner of the moon? There are always places with craters that look a lot like each other, but somewhere there are usually oddities and other traits of interest.
The low solar illumination of this great image reveals all kinds of small-scale texture in Janssen. It also suggests that the channel that appears to extend from the main line and curves toward the south edge crosses a dome. Using LOM QuickMap altimetry profiles it is confirmed that there is an increase there, it is about 350 m high and 30 km wide. The texture of the nodosa surface does not resemble a typically smooth sea lava that usually forms domes. It could be sea lava that was bombarded by nearby Fabricius ejecta. Although there is some sea lava about 600 km away at Mare Australe, I doubt that such a lava erupted on Janssen's ground. But the existence of a family of channels on the floor of Janssen has never been well explained. On the QuickMap check I noticed that this small curved channel, about a mile wide, has a much higher north side than the south side, and the last 10 km is not a channel, but rather an escarpment.
Source: Chuck Wood - LPOD
https://www.astrobin.com/full/384709/0/

• Like 15

A dull day on the Moon? No, that's impossible.

It's a beautiful image with incredible detail. The seeing must have been very good.

Wonderful information too. I'm just puzzled about one thing. What is nodosa? 

Thanks for a magnificent view.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, astroavani said:

JDc1Z-t0Cmwo_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg
Is there any dull corner of the moon? There are always places with craters that look a lot like each other, but somewhere there are usually oddities and other traits of interest.
The low solar illumination of this great image reveals all kinds of small-scale texture in Janssen. It also suggests that the channel that appears to extend from the main line and curves toward the south edge crosses a dome. Using LOM QuickMap altimetry profiles it is confirmed that there is an increase there, it is about 350 m high and 30 km wide. The texture of the nodosa surface does not resemble a typically smooth sea lava that usually forms domes. It could be sea lava that was bombarded by nearby Fabricius ejecta. Although there is some sea lava about 600 km away at Mare Australe, I doubt that such a lava erupted on Janssen's ground. But the existence of a family of channels on the floor of Janssen has never been well explained. On the QuickMap check I noticed that this small curved channel, about a mile wide, has a much higher north side than the south side, and the last 10 km is not a channel, but rather an escarpment.
Source: Chuck Wood - LPOD
https://www.astrobin.com/full/384709/0/

Very nice lunar image!  Looks somewhat comparable to this Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter image of the moon.....>

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/07/lro_tycho.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Edited by Klitwo
  • Thanks 1

CRRRRRRRRISP!!! Very very nice as usual....

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ruud said:

Um dia aborrecido na lua? Não, isso é impossível.

É uma imagem linda com detalhes incríveis. A visão deve ter sido muito boa.

Informação maravilhosa também. Estou apenas intrigado com uma coisa. O que é nodosa? 

Obrigado por uma vista magnífica.

Hello Ruud!
Nodoso for us means bulging, concave, are rounded protrusions.

• Thanks 1

I look forward to each of your new photos and posts with great anticipation.

But I truly believe, you own a captured alien space craft and are taking these photos from close up, when no one is looking. 😉

Either way, they are spectacular.

• Haha 1

Great result as usual. I find using my ASI 290 MM and a 685 filter such a great combination for Lunar. I really just use the camera for that purpose.

• Thanks 1

Another stunner Avani, though as others have remarked I think you have your own lunar orbiter beaming down pictures to you :grin:

Dave

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2019 at 15:22, Owmuchonomy said:

Ótimo resultado, como de costume. Eu acho que usar o meu ASI 290 MM e um filtro 685 é uma ótima combinação para o Lunar. Eu realmente só uso a câmera para esse propósito.

Hello Friend Chris!
The right filter for the moon will also depend somewhat on the telescope used and the aperture. The IR 685 does very well in SCT and Newton, but in a 152mm acromatic refractometer did not work. The best result I got with a green filter or even a Solar Continuum from Baader. I believe this is because refractors are optimized for the green wavelength of the spectrum. But when using the solar continuum filter do not forget to overlay it with a UV-IR cut filter because it presents a serious leak in the infrared that degrades the image.

On 11/01/2019 at 15:00, maw lod qan said:

I look forward to each of your new photos and posts with great anticipation.

But I truly believe, you own a captured alien space craft and are taking these photos from close up, when no one is looking. 😉

Either way, they are spectacular.

LOL, you have discovered my secret!