SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any-one got any clear skies (UK) Sunday 6th?

carastro

Total cloud cover here, which has been a consistent story every night bar one for a few weeks and I was away visiting relatives the other side of Norfolk that night - typical...!!!

The last image I captured was the Blue Snowball on 8-9 Dec after which I swapped my camera from the C14 to my 4" APO to shoot some wider field targets like M45 and the Witch Head. I did some test shots mainly to work out the framing of the Witch Head and created a capture sequence for later in Dec/Jan, then started out on M45. I collected 6x10 min subs before losing the sky, than a single 10 min sub a few nights later and not a single sub since.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usual story here in Yorkshire..... blanket coverage.

Forecasts say clear (ish)..... and yes, up until sunset there is blue sky and cloud around the horizon..... but as soon as you get that 12volt power supply out, the spirits of the air conjure up the fluffy stuff.  Over the last 2 weeks, at least 7 nights have been forecast clear ( and this is the Met-office site as well....with all their supercomputers), but somehow darkness seems to generate cloud !!!!!!   None of the 7 were clear.  New Moon as well....<sob,sob>...... it is a conspiracy....

Well if it's any consolation to you good people, I've just gone through 3 weeks without a single clear night and I'm in an Australian summer!!!

However, I'm now enjoying the best seeing I've ever had here the last couple of nights, so hang in there!!! ?

Your post and location has reminded me of one of my biggest regrets - visiting South Georgia and not even looking at the wonders of the Southern sky. To be fair it was before I took this "hobby" up. At least I visited Shackleton's grave though 

Despite the late evening BBC forecast saying clear skies, patchy frost, it was completely cloudy.

Not had *any* clear since the 15th Dec (even then it clouded out as soon as the moon started to set). Before then, last time I could do any deep sky work was 29th Oct... ? Dire.

There is a golden orb in my SE sky this morning; does anyone have a clue what it might be? Is it some kind of portend - I did make sure to take all my Christmas decks down before twelfth night, so I hope that is not The Predator......

8 hours ago, Prador said:

As a distraction from the clouds @geoflewis. You are not long for this world - The Predator has you firmly in his sights ?

( and this is the Met-office site as well....with all their supercomputers)

To be honest I find the Met Office weather forecasts the least reliable of all the ones I look at.

Well I don;t think it cleared at all last night, I gave up and went to bed around 12.30am - got up at 3.30 it was still cloudy and still cloudy this morning.

Depressing.?

We will have to start one of those hilarious type threads that we have had in the past to keep our spirits up. 

Carole 

The Met Office is just 20 miles away from me now but they still don't look out of the window!!  The weather isn't so different between Exeter and here!

10 hours ago, Prador said:

- visiting South Georgia ........... At least I visited Shackleton's grave

Were you there for work  ( BAS, Marines etc)  or for a vacation ??        Was the grave in good order ??    The 'locals' used to look after it and give it a good spruce up once a year..

Sean.

12 hours ago, John MacDonald said:

i have found all the forecasts to be completely wrong over the last month. got my hopes up at 6pm mostly clear in Hull then it was gone by 7pm

Hi John...I'me in the same neck of the woods as yourself..According to scope nights clear  tonight from 21.00 until 03.00....Heres to hoping anyway.

13 minutes ago, Craney said:

Were you there for work  ( BAS, Marines etc)  or for a vacation ??        Was the grave in good order ??    The 'locals' used to look after it and give it a good spruce up once a year..

Sean.

1688787272_Picture1045.thumb.jpg.3cbc537d0512a335d83cc21cd6fd9b32.jpg

Work took me to the South Atlantic for a few months. This is a picture I took in 2005 prior to a bit of sprucing up without disturbing the items placed on his grave.

Being at sea thousands of miles from anywhere brings a new meaning to 'dark skies' ?

Last night was clear from about 5 - 7pm but I’m still dusting everything down and reacquainting myself with everything so no observing done. 

Did make useful progress in getting the setup and alignment sorted though so not a complete waste. 

Got the lurgy now though so that’s me out of action for a few days at least :( 

What???  Wassat you say???  Clear skies???  And my clock says it's new moon too!!!  Can this be true - in Yorkshire too???  "I don't believe it!!"  ?

42 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well it's forecast for cloud tonight, so may look out of the window in a minute since they often get it wrong!!!

?

I think you'll find they only get it wrong when forecasting clear skies.

Archived