SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 2359

Rodd

Well--here is my last attempt at this data.  I think its much less noisy, and not pushed as hard.  I like the background.  I did not remove nearly as much green from the nebula (only about 20%), so the palette is much more natural.  I have other issues with the image though (the helmet is soft), but I don't think I will be able to get it to where I want it without collecting a new data set during much better conditions.  It's likely that I will have the time to try, as I am still shooting M78 and the Moon is on the rise.   We'll see. 

755626169_Blend6dandclone2a2b.thumb.jpg.8a829b4c2e7733ef18c54b756ce507d1.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rodd said:

Well--here is my last attempt at this data.  I think its much less noisy, and not pushed as hard.  I like the background.  I did not remove nearly as much green from the nebula (only about 20%), so the palette is much more natural.  I have other issues with the image though (the helmet is soft), but I don't think I will be able to get it to where I want it without collecting a new data set during much better conditions.  It's likely that I will have the time to try, as I am still shooting M78 and the Moon is on the rise.   We'll see. 

755626169_Blend6dandclone2a2b.thumb.jpg.8a829b4c2e7733ef18c54b756ce507d1.jpg

I think this is the best yet. 

I started on it but gave it a temporary rest while I started looking deeper for the Ha signal in the Helmet data from Robert Huerbsch that I had been working on. It is nice to see that the Ha patterns you find around the nebula looks very similar to what I got out of Huerbsch's data. So that Ha is real and it is amazing that so few imagers seem to have picked it up.

The big scare for me now is of course that my vesion of your image will not even be close to what you have accomplished - your last version looks great!

12 minutes ago, gorann said:

I started on it but gave it a temporary rest while I started looking deeper for the Ha signal in the Helmet data from Robert Huerbsch that I had been working on. It is nice to see that the Ha patterns you find around the nebula looks very similar to what I got out of Huerbsch's data. So that Ha is real and it is amazing that so few imagers seem to have picked it up.

The big scare for me now is of course that my vesion of your image will not even be close to what you have accomplished - your last version looks great!

Thanks, Goran.  It IS a relief to learn that what one has spent so many hours photographing is in fact real!  I think one of the reasons the Ha is not as commonly depicted with this target is the FOV is usually much smaller and the image is more "close in".  I was surprised at how clearly the nebula can be seen at this scale. I was expecting it to be inconsequential.

Rodd

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

Thanks, Goran.  It IS a relief to learn that what one has spent so many hours photographing is in fact real!  I think one of the reasons the Ha is not as commonly depicted with this target is the FOV is usually much smaller and the image is more "close in".  I was surprised at how clearly the nebula can be seen at this scale. I was expecting it to be inconsequential.

Rodd

Yes, after your final sharpening I think your level of resolution is very similar to that of the image I have been working on, which was taken with a 130 mm apo (athough not a Tak) at an FL of 728mm. So yo got all that extra wide field for free! But you also had about twice the total exposure time.

Archived