Narrowband

Hello from center of France

floastro

Hello Florent!

I used to live in Vincennes but I moved to Fontainebleau in August. So we may be living in the same region :) Let me know as I  need to find a club and a astro buddy soon as the night will become a little bit warmer soon ;) I am not French (Canadian actually) but I've been living in France since 2002...

Do not hesitate to PM me if you like.

*BTW I also have a 3D printer if you ever need to print out something.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/01/2019 at 13:44, floastro said:

Hi guys,

My name is Florent. I live 80km (40miles) south of Paris in a small village in the country. After several years, since september 2016, my village turns off the light at 11:00pm until 5:00am.

I began astronomy in 1980 at 10 years old with a small beginner refractor. In 1996, i began the CCD imaging with one Meade 8" LX50 and one SBIG ST-7E.

I used one SBIG ST-10XME from 2003 until summer 2015.

Now, i use one Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera with my TeleVue NP101is modified refractor for large fields and my ASA 12" f/3.62 carbon Newtonian reflector. For the mount, i use one Losmandy HGM TITAN Gemini 2 Goto mount, but i have a project to keep the Losmandy pier tripod and to change my TITAN head by one AP 1100GTO head.

After more one year of modifications with a partner on my TeleVue NP101is, i began the images during the Spring 2018.

I will post them in the Imaging Deep Sky section.

Florent ?

On 6 January 2019 at 13:28, floastro said:

Thank you guys for your replies ? ?

Now more and more villages in France turn off their lights for economic goals and the biodiversity law. I can consider now a small permanent observatory in my backyard.

I just posted my first image in the "Imaging Deep Sky" section.

Thanks once again.

Florent ?

Hi Florent

I wish towns and cities here would do that too, or at least introduce PIR activation to the lights that are on residential streets. The savings would be enormous and we'll get darker skies, wildlife won't suffer etc. I do concede that main roads probably need lighting all through the night, but wish their colours aren't that horrible pinkish orange or white. Can't they be old-style sodium vapour yellow (low pressure sodium vapour?)

Archived