Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

SacRiker

Tips to help find Uranus?

I've not yet seen Uranus through my scope and am going to make an effort once the clouds blow away (of course we get a storm the moment I get back into astronomy!). Based on the equipment i have (please see signature) can you all give some tips on how I might have success in this endeavor? Would be much appreciated!

It is currently about 1 1/4 degrees north of omicron Psc. The only thing you might mistake it for is 54 Ceti which is about twice the distance and more NE than N. It will be visible in binoculars and should be in the same field as Omicron Psc.

Once you have located it in binos, use your scope, with its longest eyepiece. Start by pointing the telrad at omicron Psc and then move it just over 1 degree north. You should have Uranus in the eypiece. You can then increase the magnification (recentring each time before increasing magnification) and you will start to see a disc, which may appear greenish.

• Thanks 1

Are childish jokes out of the question?

On a serious note, it should not be too difficult to do it. Simple star hopping.

At mag5.77 (according to Stellarium) at the moment, being in somewhat sparser region (not many bright stars around it) - it will be brightest dot at the eyepiece. It is located "above" (at around 6pm, facing south) mag4 star so should be straight forward to navigate to it. At eyepiece it will be just a dot - star like. On higher magnification if seeing is relatively stead you should be able to discern a disc - but it will be tiny, given that planet is now about 3.6" in diameter (half that of current Mars angular size). Color should be distinct.

Just use Stellarium or other planetarium software and take some notes of nearby stars and their relative positions - or you can print out a star chart. Even using phone or tablet in the field is ok since you are not after faint object (I found that any light impacts my night vision so I don't like to use these devices in the field).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Are childish jokes out of the question?

Never! Thanks for the tips. 

I think it is very helpful to have Sky Safari, Stellarium Mobile or some other software on your phone/tablet that you can take out with you and match up to what you see in the sky and through the eyepiece. It is a small planet and at low magnification can be mistaken for a star.

• Thanks 1

If you have s pair of binoculars, find it with those first. That seems to help locate it with the scope afterwards.

Through the scope, it will spear like a blue/green star at low mags and will resolve into a perfect little disc as you up the mag.

Good luck

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the tips. Once this storm passes I'll do my best to find it and report back. 

Sitting on it?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lucas_M
      Hi all,
      This is my third Uranus capture this season. I am much happier with this result.
      The seeing helped a lot and the sky quality was favorable.
      This image is the result of 5 de-rotated videos on Winjupos, all captured with IR742 filter. The result was used as luminance in the composition. RGB came from a normal color capture.
      Following the images of other friends, we can notice the atmospheric activity on the planet. It seems to be changing every week. Many changes can still happen until the opposition.

Lucas Magalhaes

• By J47
      Hello stargazers, welcome. I had posted a picture yesterday of Uranus that had appeared to show its rings. I am using a Nexstar 4se, a 2x Barlow, and my Neximage Burst Color and capturing hundreds of photos and stacking them for my results. But still had me and others curious to if I were actually seeing the rings of Uranus or maybe just a glare of some sort.
      So I got back out there this morning, might I note I live in FL where the weather tends to stay hot so clear imaging during this time of year can be difficult, but not impossible as this image that I stacked 150 out of 300 images taken may show that statement holds true..............or I could just be mistaken the object in the image, but all in all I am feeling pretty confident that I have a decently clear image(stacked 150 images) of Uranus, its rings, and one of it's distant moons. It may be necessary to zoom in on my photo in order to see the moon it should be down and to the right of the planet a good distance in relation to the size of planet, I noticed that looking at Uranus in the photo helped bring the moon out just like stargazing in real-time. 
      If anyone can better distinguish what I might have done right or wrong here any help would be appreciated (also forgot to change format save for my images so I am stuck with .bmp and setting it as a download, sorry for any inconvenience.) - - - J47(JAY)
      uranusringmoon.bmp
    • By J47
      Hi everyone I managed to wake up early this morning and get a great image processed using Registax6.1 of Uranus. I am new to astrophotography but enjoying every second of it. I have a Nexstar 4se that I used to capture these images with also increased my zoom by using a 2x Barlow. Only through my Neximage Burst Color (in which was used to take the images) was I able to make out to hazy blue planet best. Using iCap2.4 software for capturing the images heres what I did.....
      - Images taken and processed September 4, 2019 around 5:00 A.M.- 5:30 A.M.
      - decreased the gain to around 330-380 while exposure was set to 27 fps
      - adjusted my focus
      - took 200 frames at 25 fps
      Continuing to Registax I processed the images only using the best frames out of 100, I added a few prefilters: BLUR was adjusted slightly to around 10-15, SMOOTH was decreased by around 5, and contrast prefilter, forget what it was called, was reduced to .90. 
      I tuned the wavelets until the hazy spot between the rings and planet were no longer visible and the difference with the rings and planet begin to appear. Here's the results hope they are as cool to everyone else, as I find it amazing my 4se can see that much into detail.
      uranus-rings.bmp
    • By BinocularSky
      The August edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * A grazing occultation of a bright star
      * Moon occulting stars in the Hyades
      * See both ice giants as well as Vesta
      * Review of the Celestron EclipSmart 10x25 solar binocular
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these late summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
      Warning: Do not attempt to observe the Sun with any optical system that is not specifically designed for the purpose.
    • By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Uranus and Neptune are back (just!)
      * A couple of Mira variables near maximum
      * Ceres is still available
      * Review of the Bino Bandit
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these short summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.