SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Friday night tour.

MilwaukeeLion

First time pairing atik infinity with hyperstar - c11, camera doesn't block all that much aperture.  Was still expecting to see some funky images due to camera is big rectangle with 2 cords coming off vs one cord on asi camera which is small and round, takes up no aperture.   I don't see anything too funky, I think?

Waiting for galaxies to rise East, started with usual Orion, flame & horsehead.  Pleased with 20 sec subs, images below 40 frame stacks. Not quite clear as mono but nice seeing color while touring.  Next a visit to casper the friendly ghost, wasn't much detail as was hoping for so slewed to cigar galaxy.  Darker portion of sky for me, cigar viewing was good. 46P was near by so slewed on over, still green and looking good.  A quick stack of 5 images, 5 sec each I think.  Left comet to view open clusters, did a stack of the shoe buckle. Slewed to hamburger galaxy and friends was looking good but fog creeping in so ran to whale galaxy hoping to get captures.  Even with slight fog was stacking well until thick stuff rolled in.  Was hoping for black eye galaxy and others tonight, will have to keep waiting.  Images stretched in nebulocity, Clear skies !

1-2 - Copy.jpg

1-1 - Copy.jpg

1-3 - Copy.jpg

1-4 - Copy.jpg

1-5 - Copy.jpg

1-6 - Copy.jpg

1-7 - Copy.jpg

1-8 - Copy.jpg

Absolutely superb. Really nice natural looking colours. The C11 and Hyperstar is my dream set up and gives a nice image scale with the Infinity or Ultrastar. Would also be interested to see what the images looked like before they went be through Nebulosity, do you find the Infinity software is not up to the job?

What mount do you have by the way (sorry I can’t see your sig in mobile view)?

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Absolutely superb. Really nice natural looking colours. The C11 and Hyperstar is my dream set up and gives a nice image scale with the Infinity or Ultrastar. Would also be interested to see what the images looked like before they went be through Nebulosity, do you find the Infinity software is not up to the job?

What mount do you have by the way (sorry I can’t see your sig in mobile view)?

Thank you Rob, its losmandy g11 mount.  Below are jpeg versions of live tif stacks  (20 sec exposures f1.9), I use Infinity software to stack, while stacking you can save the stacked image at any time.  So I save the stack as both a tif (as on screen, I color balance each target in infinity for live viewing) and a Fits file.  I then take the Fits stack into  nebulocity to reconstruct color and stretch.  Below is what im actually seeing (live stack) on laptop before processing.  I sometimes record individual images as they stack also but wanted to view multiple targets so just processed stacks no darks, bias, flats.

i9 - Copy.jpg

i31 - Copy.jpg

i18 - Copy.jpg

5 hours ago, Pig said:

Well done that man..... some beautiful images there ?

Nice Triumph too ?

She's a beauty..  Harley riders always asking if bike is from 60's, I play along...yep super rare built it myself from parts, scrap metal and a hammer. 

That's a really interesting comparison,  there is quite a difference between the 'live' and nebulosity-processed images. In the nebulosity-processed Horsehead image, the colours are better and the backround darker, and in the nebulosity-processed M42 there is much much more nebulosity visible. Do you think it is possible to do more 'tweaking' in the Infinity software to get them closer to the quality of the Nebulosity images, or is the software just not capable of that?

Just now, RobertI said:

That's a really interesting comparison,  there is quite a difference between the 'live' and nebulosity-processed images. In the nebulosity-processed Horsehead image, the colours are better and the backround darker, and in the nebulosity-processed M42 there is much much more nebulosity visible. Do you think it is possible to do more 'tweaking' in the Infinity software to get them closer to the quality of the Nebulosity images, or is the software just not capable of that?

I was using a LP filter which darkens images and adds blue so live stack tif little tricky to color balance.  Reconstructing fits stack color in nebulocity helped I think.  I play with sliders while stacking and brighten them to extreme, then darken them mainly for viewing purposes.  Could've brightened them more but detail starts to get fuzzy using infinity controls.  More ways to tweak image in nebulocity without losing detail.  My ed80 still gets more deep detail than this combination but is slower and needs guiding to get it.  I like speed of this combination, polar alignment can just be ok.  Build a quick model and start viewing objects.  

53 minutes ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

She's a beauty..  Harley riders always asking if bike is from 60's, I play along...yep super rare built it myself from parts, scrap metal and a hammer. 

LoL .... keep them guessing ? There is a nice Triton in bits in my garage, unfortunately it belongs to my brother.

Archived