Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Initial Quadrantids meteor detection results

Hi all,

my apologies: I'm loaded with man-flu, so I've not had chance to look fully at the results from last nights shower.  However, on first glance there appeared to be a broad peak topping out around 160 strikes per hour between midnight and 6am at my site.

Here's my heat map of Day/Hour versus Count from last night:

image.png.2c3d4e3d9ce7ec2948107639836eb9db.png

Looking at the individual strikes, I see many short duration recordings lasting a second or less, interspersed with long duration events, for example:

Meteor20190104032226.jpg.03e74de20e3193e2f2eecc52f888b2d4.jpg

The data is unfiltered for any artefacts, satellites or noise, but with detection rates that high, it's fairly likely there will be some multiple incoming meteor events that are counted as one event due to the duration of the plasma trail being long enough to mask subsequent strikes.

Richard

Was catching visual sightings of about ten an hour at 3am, reports were that at my 52° north meteors would be seen not far above the northern horizon and eminating from draco or near the handle of plough but in general the main stream impacts would not be visible at my location and I would be observing strays, they where in reality seen up to 40° above the northern horizon and quite broadly dispersed either side of plough and under it but the numbers were indeed low for this shower at my location, I think more would have observed this shower if they knew this, but it was awesome though for some one suffering under cloud for weeks. Thanks for posting your data ?

Freddie...

Archived