Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iris nebula core - snapshot with a 2 metre RC

gorann

The sky here has been on and off, meaning that it is sometiems clear when I take the last walk with my dog Balder, when it is supposed to be cloudy, and other nights I am set up and ready and everything is ruined by clouds. So, I have entertained myself with public data including this 0.4 hour image (4 x 4 subs of about 80 seconds of R, G, B and Ha) from the Liverpool Telecscope - a 2 metre RC scope on a mountain top on La Palma in the Canary Islands. I wish there had been more data but with a scope this size and a very very nice CCD camera it is still quite presentable.

LT Iris HaRGB PS27frameSign.jpg

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Sensational. Amateur instruments cannot compete with this level of resolution or with the speed of huge apertures. Just imagine if they trebled the exposure time on this...

Olly

Yes, quite so. There are another 24 subs in the Liverpool Telescope data base, but they are newer (mainly 2018) and not yet released to the public. Togther with the 16 free subs from 2017 that I used they will make up about an hour - I will keep a watch out for them.

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Sensational. Amateur instruments cannot compete with this level of resolution or with the speed of huge apertures. Just imagine if they trebled the exposure time on this...

Olly

By the way Olly, The Liverpool Telescope occasionally spend a bit more time on an object. Have a look at this M51 for which I could download 3.6 hours of data:

LT M51 r NebRGB PS27sign.jpg

6 hours ago, coatesg said:

I dunno, the field stars look a little soft to me.... ?

You are of course right - the stars seem to be behind the galaxy, which is a bit odd (but maybe only if you know something about astronomy)

Those are brilliant images Göran. Unfortunately I passed my teacher account over to our new technician, so can only ask for the basic imaging available to random bods.

When I have my main computer up and running again, and connected to the internet I may have a trawl through their database, though I won't achieve this level of imaging.

22 minutes ago, gorann said:

You are of course right - the stars seem to be behind the galaxy, which is a bit odd (but maybe only if you know something about astronomy)

Dead easy to tighten up the field stars using PS layers and curves.

Before:

846066323_fieldstars.JPG.94ccb8adfebd61647b8605703f0bdc4a.JPG

After

1871731715_fieldstars2.jpg.4a5212a066641049d9dc796d84801bdf.jpg

Done in less than a minute.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Dead easy to tighten up the field stars using PS layers and curves.

Before:

846066323_fieldstars.JPG.94ccb8adfebd61647b8605703f0bdc4a.JPG

After

1871731715_fieldstars2.jpg.4a5212a066641049d9dc796d84801bdf.jpg

Done in less than a minute.

Olly

I know Olly but I did the image mix more for fun. I do not have accss to the 16 bit Tiff data right now but here is a quick fix made on the posted 8 bit jpg image.

1258612978_M51LesGrangesHaLRGBPS27LTimage narrow stars.jpg

Archived