Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

January New Moon Spotting

CentaurZ

It’s nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. I use the term New Moon in its classical sense of one’s first sighting of the Moon after its conjunction with the Sun (Dark Moon). Some sharp-eyed North Americans might want to attempt spotting the one-day-old Moon after sunset on Sunday, January 6. Other observers should have better luck during the following evening.

Photos and descriptions of the young crescent Moon this month would be welcome additions to this thread.

New-Moon-1.JPG.85199ef8596828d38ceb60e96ea50721.JPG

A delicate sighting earlier - was picking my daughter up from her nursery and the park had an unobstructed view to the SW. I'd checked setting times a few days ago for yesterday and today so I new the rough window I had. I realised the time and looked across - took a bit of hunting but there she was in plain sight - slender, but glinting through the fading sunset. I shared it with a couple of bystanders. :)

I'd never have thought to look if it wasn't for this thread, thanks!

4 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

A delicate sighting earlier - was picking my daughter up from her nursery and the park had an unobstructed view to the SW. I'd checked setting times a few days ago for yesterday and today so I new the rough window I had. I realised the time and looked across - took a bit of hunting but there she was in plain sight - slender, but glinting through the fading sunset. I shared it with a couple of bystanders. :)

I'd never have thought to look if it wasn't for this thread, thanks!

You're welcome. Thank you for your fine report. I'm so glad that you, your daughter and new friends got to view the pretty sight of a less than two-day-old Moon. 

Archived