Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple from New Year's Day

Thalestris24

9 minutes ago, saac said:

You had some clear skies Lousie, hope that bodes well for the rest of the year. Nice group there, I particularly like M67. 

Jim 

Hi Jim

Yeah, on Tuesday night. I always struggle to get distant photons against the skyglow, though - hence the uhc which helped a bit. Transparency not great and my mount played up later on. I think it must have been the cold affecting it/the connections. If I'm lucky I can get 1 night/month that will let me do some imaging. Some months not so much Hope you do better up there! Am waiting for a reducer that will give me a better fov with small sensors.

Cheers

Louise

You did well Lousie not bad at all especially with the level of sky glow you have to put up with. I've yet to experiment with filters, maybe something I'll try this year. Weather here has been really disappointing. I haven't really done any imaging since the October school holidays. I think we have had 2 clear nights since just before Christmas; used the telescope once :( . Anyway we were walking the dog on Kilnshaldy  beach today and I think I may have found a good site to try some wide-field camera shots  - something different.  Here's to better weather :) 

Jim 

2 minutes ago, saac said:

You did well Lousie not bad at all especially with the level of sky glow you have to put up with. I've yet to experiment with filters, maybe something I'll try this year. Weather here has been really disappointing. I haven't really done any imaging since the October school holidays. I think we have had 2 clear nights since just before Christmas; used the telescope once :( . Anyway we were walking the dog on Kilnshaldy  beach today and I think I may have found a good site to try some wide-field camera shots  - something different.  Here's to better weather :) 

Jim 

Fingers crossed! I've been aching to just get outside to do some imaging since I started back in 2013-14 - but I still haven't managed it yet! I think my Star Adventurer is probably my best bet but I find it difficult to use.

Louise

That setup is producing some nice results Louise, as you say a reducer would make it even better. With the small chip I reckon pretty much any reducer would work, for instance I have used both the .63 and .33 reducers designed for SCTs in my F6 frac with no problems.

1 minute ago, RobertI said:

That setup is producing some nice results Louise, as you say a reducer would make it even better. With the small chip I reckon pretty much any reducer would work, for instance I have used both the .63 and .33 reducers designed for SCTs in my F6 frac with no problems.

Hi Robert

That's interesting. I didn't imagine sct reducers would work with a short frac! Are they also flatteners? Anyway, I'm expecting a Lightwave 0.8x reducer/flattener to arrive within the hour! If only I could order clear skies and get them delivered next day! I have a plain flattener I bought and currently use with the frac but decided a reducer would be good. I'd thought about a 0.6x but decided on the 0.8x. Will see how things perform. I've also thought about getting a cooled 183 camera but still sitting on the fence. I've had problems with auto aligning the live stacking because I don't always pick up enough stars with some targets. Hopefully, a wider fov will help.

Louise 

Great that the reducer has arrived. ? If my maths is correct you should be able to see the same amount of stars in 2/3rds of the exposure time, so should be a fair amount faster and should make stacking more successful too. I also have a 0.8 reducer/flattener which is matched to my F6 frac and it also works really well on larger sensors such as DSLRs (no elongation at the edges), so I suspect yours will also be good if you ever want a larger chip. 

50 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Great that the reducer has arrived. ? If my maths is correct you should be able to see the same amount of stars in 2/3rds of the exposure time, so should be a fair amount faster and should make stacking more successful too. I also have a 0.8 reducer/flattener which is matched to my F6 frac and it also works really well on larger sensors such as DSLRs (no elongation at the edges), so I suspect yours will also be good if you ever want a larger chip. 

I'm going to fit it, shortly :) I have a tendency (=bad habit?) to mix things up over time. At the moment I have an Atik 383l+ on the 115mm APO which has a matched 0.79x reducer and that works fine. My limitation is the lp/skyglow so I'll just have to see how the 80mm f6 performs with the (cheap!) reducer. The 183 sensor which I've been thinking about has a lot of 2.4mu pixels on a small chip so that should be ok if I go down that route. I think others have used the Lightwave reducer with aps-c sized sensors with no problem.

Louise

Archived