Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

I went out spotting Quadrantid meteors last night with my local observing group and we saw 21 in a two hour session. Sky conditions were very variable, from wonderful clear to thick cloud! Shame we didn't stay up until 03:14 though - here's a huge fireball caught by the all sky camera outside my observatory:

Oculus-2019-01-04T03-14-09-609.thumb.png.599c94c1cf6701e4a5b8e9cd71268e70.png

• Like 10

While not particularly looking for them, I saw about 5 last night before midnight in a 2 hour period. They were quite far from their source with one spectacular one moving down through Orion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Levi said:

While not particularly looking for them, I saw about 5 last night before midnight in a 2 hour period. They were quite far from their source with one spectacular one moving down through Orion.

Agreed, most of the ones we saw were far from the radiant. That generally makes for better streakers (!) though - Earth grazer sorts.

• Like 1

Steve, that’s great, what kit are you using for that? Could this be a subject for an SGL SP talk?

Its cheating really.

I don't know about a talk maybe a list ways on how long it took me to remember how to hook it up again.

receiver and spectrum lab.

• Like 1

That's a great meteor capture, was looking forward to the shower but it eluded me and my all sky camera only saw 1 and captured a couple small ones all evening.