Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FLO Sky-Watcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter has a hidden manual rotator!

Grumman

Hello all,

I just wanted to share something that I recently found out and it has worked for me like a treat!

I have a Sky-Watcher 72ED and the Field Flattener for it. I had to purchase a "special" adapter ring for my DSLR which is actually a Canon Bayonet adapter but instead of a standard T2 threads, it comes with M48 (2") threads so it will fit to the Field Flattener's M48 thread.

I have a fully screwed imaging train which makes it challenging for framing objects properly.

I was thinking of having a manual rotator in the setup so I can rotate the camera and properly frame my targets but, the issue with this scope/field flattener combination is that it does not give you enough focuser travel. By adding a rotator in the solution it would add around 10mm of back-focus meaning that i could never be able to achieve focus with the current setup.

I looked closer at my ring adapter that i purchased from FLO and it seems that it has 3 (M2.5) grub screws that seem to be holding something...

I took a screw driver and to my surprise, the grub screws are holding what seems to be a rotation ring!

I have bought some M2.5 thumb screws and presto! - I have a manual rotator built in on the ring adapter and it only costed me £3 for a set of 4 thumb screws from eBay!

I hope this post helps someone else who is looking for a manual rotator but they can't afford one (as they cost around £60) or they do not have enough focus travel with their setup.

Sky-Watcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter
M2.5 Thumb Screws (pack of 4)

IMG_20190103_212424-COLLAGE.jpg.b649a6b1b8c267b05079865b73bcd092.jpg

Regards,
Thanasis

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2019 at 21:50, Grumman said:

Hello all,

I just wanted to share something that I recently found out and it has worked for me like a treat!

I have a Sky-Watcher 72ED and the Field Flattener for it. I had to purchase a "special" adapter ring for my DSLR which is actually a Canon Bayonet adapter but instead of a standard T2 threads, it comes with M48 (2") threads so it will fit to the Field Flattener's M48 thread.

I have a fully screwed imaging train which makes it challenging for framing objects properly.

I was thinking of having a manual rotator in the setup so I can rotate the camera and properly frame my targets but, the issue with this scope/field flattener combination is that it does not give you enough focuser travel. By adding a rotator in the solution it would add around 10mm of back-focus meaning that i could never be able to achieve focus with the current setup.

I looked closer at my ring adapter that i purchased from FLO and it seems that it has 3 (M2.5) grub screws that seem to be holding something...

I took a screw driver and to my surprise, the grub screws are holding what seems to be a rotation ring!

I have bought some M2.5 thumb screws and presto! - I have a manual rotator built in on the ring adapter and it only costed me £3 for a set of 4 thumb screws from eBay!

I hope this post helps someone else who is looking for a manual rotator but they can't afford one (as they cost around £60) or they do not have enough focus travel with their setup.

Sky-Watcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter
M2.5 Thumb Screws (pack of 4)

IMG_20190103_212424-COLLAGE.jpg.b649a6b1b8c267b05079865b73bcd092.jpg

Regards,
Thanasis

Just found this.

thanks for sharing, may prove very handy.

Thanks again

Tim

Archived