SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Could these binos capture bright nebula?

KiannJames

8x56 binocs provide extremely saturated colors in daytime observing, and reveal a lot of what is going on at night in terrestrial observing. Say you have a rural home and you want to spot animals in your garden and around the fields when it's dark, an 8x56 is very well suited for that. But that ability is not a plus in night sky spotting because it makes the sky itself luminous, and the deep sky targets have a tough time competing with that.

For our stargazing we use binoculars with a ratio of 5 or 4 between diameter and power (the 8x56 has a ratio of 7) so the sky is darker, and fuzzies contrast better against it. If the 56mm diameter is your thing an 11x56 or 12x56 would be better. But if the weight and size are not a problem, 60mm or 70mm binocs will make the fuzzies brighter in absolute brightness; the ratio between power and diameter only changes relative brightness.

I have some 8x56 Opticron binoculars. From my moderately light polluted back yard I can see the Orion Nebula, the Dumbell Nebula and a couple of other "smudges" that I know are nebulae as well. I can see many star clusters and a few galaxies with the same instruments. When I was in Australia during November last year these binoculars showed me nice views of both the large and small Megellanic Clouds and the classic globular cluster 47 Toucanae.

I enjoy using them in daylight too :smiley:

The 8x56 size seems to offer decent light gathering while remaining easy to use hand held. I also have 11x70's which are very good and go "deeper" but are not much use for daytime viewing and harder to hold steady without a tripod mounting.

Archived