SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrofest 2019

groberts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/02/2019 at 22:45, Tubby Bear said:

He's had to pull out i'm afraid. He should have been there.

Its a shame ; i was hoping to see my scope there which he was going to display. (if he'd got it in time)

That's a pity, I wanted to talk about a DDM85 Basic and one of their piers. I noted that they no longer stock GSO RC 'scopes on the site.

Never mind, I still want to talk to Atik about their 16200 camera.

On my way now, hope to be there a bit after 11.

18 minutes ago, DaveS said:

That's a pity, I wanted to talk about a DDM85 Basic and one of their piers. I noted that they no longer stock GSO RC 'scopes on the site.

Never mind, I still want to talk to Atik about their 16200 camera.

On my way now, hope to be there a bit after 11.

The location is PITA for myself (more likely to go the PAS next month.  I'd be interested in hearing about the new proposed QSI 16200 CCD and the proposed specs (download times, noise characteristics, price) if anyone would be kind enough.

Just got back from Astrofest. Dropped in to Atik, and had a long chat, saw the QSI 16200 engineering model, with 5 place internal wheel, there will also be an 8 place wheel as well. It's a bit of a lump.

I can now say definitely that the Atik 16200 doesn't have RBI LEDs, I think they prefer to limit the cooling to -20 Deg.

And I have to give notice of an oncoming storm, having put a deposit on an ODK12 :eek:.

Had a great day meeting up with SGL people some I had not met before.

Gingergeek, Graham Roberts, Adrian Condon, Dave S, Lorenzo, Harry Page, some people from my local astro group, people I know from Kelling, but every-one was asking about Daz, did you not make it Daz? 

Carole 

Hi Carole,

I take it you got home safely, the Tube service going north in London was suspended, so had to travel via Victoria to Euston. Then at Euston, the train home was delayed and we had 4 minutes from the time the platform was announced to catch it! Great travelling via train in 2019!!!

I enjoyed meeting up with you and the SGL members. I was hoping to meeting DAZ, we need to have some banter.

The talks this year on the whole were very good.

The exhibition is in my view going downhill, which is a shame.

I also met up with members of the Wycombe Astronomical Society (WAS)  on the Friday and three of us stayed as usual at the local Copthorne Tara hotel and went to Chinatown for our evening meal, had our dessert at the local McDonalds and finished it off with a nightcap back at the hotel. Oh, isn't life wonderful.

Trust with all the effort expended we get clear nights.....

Adrian

22 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Afraid I have to agree with Adrian. I've only been going since 2013, but even in that time I've seen the exhibition become thinner. Wonder how much longer it can go on? :sad:

Probably another few years on the deposit you paid today ?

I think the trouble is the cost of having a stand is very expensive for the exhibitors, so if it's not worth their while coming, it's not surprising.  Then of course the venue itself probably costs a lot of money.   I also wonder whether the competition from other events like the IAS and the one coming up in Kettering are having an impact.  It certainly didn't feel as crowded as it has done in the past and no long queue for the cafeteria as there has been in the past.   Better for us, but not for the Exhibitors. 

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

I think the trouble is the cost of having a stand is very expensive for the exhibitors, so if it's not worth their while coming, it's not surprising.  Then of course the venue itself probably costs a lot of money.   I also wonder whether the competition from other events like the IAS and the one coming up in Kettering are having an impact.  It certainly didn't feel as crowded as it has done in the past and no long queue for the cafeteria as there has been in the past.   Better for us, but not for the Exhibitors. 

Carole 

I doubt that the rising cost of public transport helps either.  Certainly no parking (at sensible cost).

Hi Carole,

I take it you got home safely,

Yes thanks, no problems on my route home, but was a bit confusing at High St Kensington Tube station, when every-one arriving had to get off and then the train returned to Victoria instead of continuing.  

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

True, probably needs moving out of Central London.  

I think so.  I would say still Greater London, so still accessible etc. but somewhere with good public transport links but also reasonable parking for those choosing to drive.

I enjoy the show, but it is a mission to get there.

Well in the end I went on Saturday just to the exhibition and mulled around for a couple of hours.  Pleased to meet Carole and Adrian - this is a great  Forum and such an event is a good opportunity to meet-up + put a face to the Avatar / name and talk shop etc.  Unfortunately I was unable to find anyone else, mainly because I didn't know who they were or what they might look like in the first place - this, of course, is inevitable given the way the Forum works. 

Don't know how we could get this to work better but for those that do want to meet other like minded SGL members we need some form of clear identification and a common point at which to meet / find each other.  This probably needs to  sanctioned by the organiser / sponsor i.e. Astronomy Now.  It seems to me the obvious spot could be around / near to the Astronomy Now exhibition area + perhaps we could add something like a coloured label (maybe they could supply) to stick  on the name tag?  Anyhow just some ramblings that might help us get together and maybe even add to the appeal of the conference to potential attendees.

I did not attend any talks, partly because even at the start of the year there was no information + they seemed to sell out quickly.  Notwithstanding, I am encouraged by some of the reports back which sound very good.

The exhibition was OK but frankly nothing special; I have not been to others or this one before for comparison.  I know the exhibitor spots can get quite expensive and the return on their investment might make it not worth it.  But it seems very clear that London should have a premier astronomy exhibition and, as suggested above, maybe it's time for a change: new location, more space, lower costs for exhibitors + other new ideas to pull in the punters = greater success. 

See you next year (if we can recognise each other), not sure - watch this space!          

Graham

My first time at Astrofest Saturday, I found it nice and comfortable to walk around the stands quite well stocked,I must admit that I did buy a few goodies. The team on the David Hines stand very informative and nearly answered all of my questions. The only downside was the traveling on the trains on  the way home over 3 hours,against 1.5 hours going, but would I go again, yes. Des

18 hours ago, RayD said:

I would say still Greater London, so still accessible etc. but somewhere with good public transport links but also reasonable parking for those choosing to drive.

Somewhere like the ExCel centre, but it's probably too expensive to hire, be good for me though and tempt me to go again, not having been for a few years since having to take out a bank loan for the train fare and it turning into a bit of a bun fight :grin:

Dave

I did keep a lookout for any familiar names on badges, but Carole found me first as we were passing. My one had my forum name in case anyone spotted it.

Maybe the SGL shop in FLO  could sell SGL lapel badges / broaches?

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Somewhere like the ExCel centre, but it's probably too expensive to hire, be good for me though and tempt me to go again, not having been for a few years since having to take out a bank loan for the train fare and it turning into a bit of a bun fight :grin:

Dave

I thought Excel, Dave.  Some of the smaller halls are fine, you can hire sections and don't need the whole centre.

I went by train Friday and it was 'orrid.  Had to walk from South Kensington as tubes went all Pete Tong, and would have gone on the bike Saturday if time had permitted.

I like it, and think it has a future, but just wonder if the additional cost to visitors with it being in Central London just makes it too costly for such a small event.

4 hours ago, DaveS said:

I did keep a lookout for any familiar names on badges, but Carole found me first as we were passing. My one had my forum name in case anyone spotted it.

Maybe the SGL shop in FLO  could sell SGL lapel badges / broaches?

Good idea.

Archived