Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

On 03/01/2019 at 20:49, carastro said:

We should all wear a badge to identify ourselves.   I usually meet up with Gingergeek, but only because he recognised me from my Avatar (my photo) the first time.   Last year I met Peter Shah and saw DaveS (again only because he posted up his photo instead of his previous avatar at the last moment) plus others for this and other forums/Astro camps.

Carole 

And me and Ahmed @souls33k3r :thumbright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2019 at 13:59, emadmoussa said:

Did they have worthy discounts last year?

I was after a SX Oculus and as I was speaking with them just before they were packing up, I managed to get it around £200 cheaper, so there are discounts there, potentially.

Think I'll come along again on the Saturday this year.  Mark @gingergeek just reminded me of it, so will jump on the bike and brave the cold.

Be good to meet any peeps there.  I'll have a sweatshirt on with my forum name on it :thumbright:

On 20/01/2019 at 17:05, RayD said:

And me and Ahmed @souls33k3r :thumbright:

Yes mate, @carastro forgot all about us 😭 yes i look nothing like my avatar (i promise) but i spotted Carole and @peter shah and said hello. 

And then i bumped in to my main man @RayD ... had some quality time there.

Ray, you going this  year mate? Sorry i've been a bit quite as of late, work is stressing me out.

Yes mate, @carastro forgot all about us

What do you mean?

So are most people going on Saturday, I can go either day.

Carole 

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Yes mate, @carastro forgot all about us 😭 yes i look nothing like my avatar (i promise) but i spotted Carole and @peter shah and said hello. 

And then i bumped in to my main man @RayD ... had some quality time there.

Ray, you going this  year mate? Sorry i've been a bit quite as of late, work is stressing me out.

Welcome back from the silent web mate.  No apology needed, work must always come second (family first, naturally) so busy times are always going to mean less time on here (I have enough of this to contend with).

I am going to go on the Saturday to cast my beady eyes over the delicious looking goodies that I can't possibly afford :thumbright:

Think I will go on Saturday then as most people seem to be going then.

Avatar badge already made.  Don;t forget your badges every-one so we can recognise each other. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Just now, carastro said:

Think I will go on Saturday then as most people seem to be going then.

Carole 

Great stuff, Carole.  Look forward to bumping in to you again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RayD said:

Welcome back from the silent web mate.  No apology needed, work must always come second (family first, naturally) so busy times are always going to mean less time on here (I have enough of this to contend with).

Thanks mate. Couldn't agree more there mate.

Really itching for the first light with the new scope which has been in it's nice shiny box for the last couple of months lol 

28 minutes ago, RayD said:

I am going to go on the Saturday to cast my beady eyes over the delicious looking goodies that I can't possibly afford :thumbright:

Well you say that right now but knowing you, i'd be the one helping you load all the goodies in your car :D

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Well you say that right now but knowing you, i'd be the one helping you load all the goodies in your car :D

Aha.....Oh ye of little faith........I'm coming on the motorbike, so I have this covered 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Aha.....Oh ye of little faith........I'm coming on the motorbike, so I have this covered 🤣

Ah yes, home delivery is always an option 😂

• Haha 2

Think I will be there again this year!

My avatar is definitely not me!! :D :D :D

• Haha 1

Can you definitely buy tickets on the door?  It seems a bit OTT to me that there appears to be no option to buy a ticket online and collect it on the door, but to buy a ticket they want my full name, address, phone number and email address (all required fields).  I'm sure (at least I hope) the organisers are trustworthy etc. but surely all that isn't necessary.

Edited by RayD

Ah ok found a note on the AstroFest site saying exhibition passes can be purchased at the door.  See you there peeps :thumbright:

I always buy my ticket on the door.   This is just for the exhibition.  You probably have to book advance for the lectures as they could sell out.

Carole 

A more detailed list of talks and sessions has now been put up on the astrofest web page

I’ll be there most of Friday. Someone should bring a little sign and sit somewhere visible. 

Peter

Astrofests I attended in the past, were exciting to begin with. Meeting up with fellow SGL members was a great ingredient,
especially the Curry House  get together for the 90 minute Lunch Break 😀
Overcrowding was a pain though, the London Kensington venue seemed inadequate for the event somehow.
I think the Midlands fest was deemed to be much better for several reasons. Easier and cheaper for Northern based folks for example. 
 Hope I'm not painting a dull picture for the London Fest.here, It is still an attractive event with many Astro Dealers present.
Best leave Credit and Debit cards at home though. 😁.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

Being a Londoner I’ll see how it’s changed. Been looking to get to the midlands one, never seem to be available on the dates, will keep trying.

Peter

• Like 1

I think I may be able to make Astrofest after all. I need to come up to London at some point to sort out the last of the stuff in the bungalow, so may be able to combine the two.

I'll need to come back on Sunday, and want to meet up with my cousin, possibly on Saturday,

Some careful scheduling to be worked out.

• Like 1

Is Friday or Saturday best for exhibition viewing etc?

Is there provision there for food and drink or best to take something?

Thanks, Graham

Friday is usually less crowded, but the exhibition is normally the same both days. 

There is a cafeteria, but often a long queue for food and seats.  

Carole 

You have always been able to leave and renter as often as you like, plenty of places to eat nearby with lots of choice. Check when you buy your ticket that this still is allowed. 

Peter

I've just checked TfL, District Line is closed through High Still Kensington on Saturday. Looks like the Circle Line is running.

I'll try to make Saturday, since a lot of us are going then. Hope Astrograph are there, as I want to talk to Rupert about a five figure purchase.