Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrofest 2019

groberts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always go but I stopped going to the Talks when they started charging for a whole session rather than per talk since sometimes only one of a bunch interest me enough.  They always seem to leave it to the last minute to announce the speakers, how they expect people to book blindly I don't know.

I like to wander around looking at the exhibition, asking questions face to face with the Traders, and looking at the kit, sometimes there are bargains to be had.  Also it's great to meet up with people from forums etc.  

Maybe see you there if we can recognise each other.  You need a badge with your Avatar on it.  Lol 

Carole 

11 minutes ago, groberts said:

Certainly like the idea of just looking around the exhibition, can you just buy a ticket at the door for this?

Graham

Yes, if you only want to look around the exhibition, tickets are available on the door, £8.00 for 2019.

I’ve been going most years since 1996.  The exhibition has changed a lot since I first went, when there was much more for the traditional observer.  There’s still some traders there for that, but the shift is towards imaging.   I treat the day as much to meet up with old friends as looking around the exhibitors displays.

Top tips - best avoid the exit from the lecture theatre at the end of the talk, and also the cafe queue just after that ☹️

Ed.

Thanks for the advice, think I'll dip my toe in the water this year and visit the exhibition then - does Friday or Saturday ,make any difference?  I'm coming from Surrey and prefer Saturday to avoid commuters etc. on weekdays. Hope to meet some of you there.

Graham

1 hour ago, carastro said:

They always seem to leave it to the last minute to announce the speakers, how they expect people to book blindly I don't know. 

In most years they have usually posted a list of roughly who is giving what talk when well before Christmas, usually with a finally running list and any gaps filled in before the end of the first week in January.  This year we have no clue at all about anything.  They really need to get their act together, especially now that there is competition in the form of the International Astronomy Show (IAS).

The number of traders taking stands seems to decline every year.  I suspect this is partially a function in the steady decline in the number of Astro retailers in the UK and the costs of having a stand.  Competition from the IAS is probably another factor.  The last time I went (2017), there definitely seemed to be fewer punters than in previous years.  I'm umming and arghing about going this year as the cost for a whole day of talks is now a whooping £40.  Add on the tube fare and £30 for petrol, and the day could easily end up costing me around £80!

I think I may have just talked myself out of going!

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Gave up going many years ago after it got more crowded and expensive including the rail fares.

Would go to I.A.S. if it didn't clash with SGL SP.

Dave

I went 4 years ago and they had good discounts. Was thinking about going this year as I need some bits and pieces... 

We should all wear a badge to identify ourselves.   I usually meet up with Gingergeek, but only because he recognised me from my Avatar (my photo) the first time.   Last year I met Peter Shah and saw DaveS (again only because he posted up his photo instead of his previous avatar at the last moment) plus others for this and other forums/Astro camps.

Carole 

Hi Graham,

I am going for two full days, I found most of the talks interesting. In 2018 the sound system was a total disaster for part of the first talk and I really wanted to hear the speaker. It was corrected within 15 minutes but should never have occurred.

I stay overnight at the Copthorne Tara Hotel on the Friday night with some friends.

I find the bulk of the traders interesting and more than willing to discuss their products  (one or two not interested in talking about their products  last year, if the pre-sales is poor, just guess what the after sales is like!!!)

Yes some traders are offering discounts that help defray the costs of attending.  Remember a number of companies are locating to Europe in anticipation of Brexit..... so will they be attending in future.

I like Carole idea of badging up!

A Happy New Year and hope to meet up with as many of you as possible...

Adrian

I used to go when I was after new equipment and it was a great chance to see it up close with a possible discount thrown in.  Once I had enough equipment, I started going for the talks, however now that the subjects are not disclosed very far in advance I can't plan my trip. I did find the allocated time per speaker to be a little bit limiting for the speaker to do a decent full length presentation of their subject. Otherwise, it's a great celebration of all things astro and I might even go for a look around this year.

Don`t forget to check the TFL website here to check your journeys. There is frequent  engineering work carried out in London at the weekends

17 hours ago, carastro said:

We should all wear a badge to identify ourselves.   I usually meet up with Gingergeek, but only because he recognised me from my Avatar (my photo) the first time.   Last year I met Peter Shah and saw DaveS (again only because he posted up his photo instead of his previous avatar at the last moment) plus others for this and other forums/Astro camps.

Carole 

Did they have worthy discounts last year?

I've been every year bar the last two. The numbers of Exhibitors and kit for sale  has decreased considerably over time along with the discounts. It's one of the rare chances to see multiple suppliers but this has decreased and so the chance to compare is more limited than it once was. Suppliers with small items, such as CCD cameras, don't have too much heavy transporting to do so they remain but some of the scope suppliers have been absent for a while. It's become basically a rather expensive social event, unless you live in London.

I found the IAS exhibition a much better venue for looking at equipment, much more space and more suppliers, and the talks were better too. 

Ian B

Hoping to go for first time in a while... the in-laws are visiting a different week this year! Never attended any talks, though will see what’s on this year, mainly go to catch up with people, buy a book or two (maybe some shiny bits if i have any on the wish list). Ought to change my old avatar picture....

PeterW

Archived