Narrowband

Tell us your sky quality

Moonshane

Here's mine.

What it doesn't show is the effect of the paranoid individual who lives 50 metres down the road and has their house floodlit all night long from 4 different angles!

banham sky.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

really useful website...and just looking at the gradual worsening of the VIIRS between 2013 and 2018 is very worrying...

The 2015 ATLAS survey is saying 20.76 mag/arcsec^2......but my guess is every year that is getting worse and worse as more housing estates fill our village!

Edited by festoon
  • Like 1

I can only manage bortle 4. Although being so low I do suffer from dew and mist from the moors.

Zenith sky brightness information

Coordinates
51° ″ N 2°  W
SQM
21.25 mag./arc sec2
Brightness
0.342 mcd/m2
Artif. bright.
170 μcd/m2
Ratio
Bortle
Elevation
7 meters
  • Like 1

Just a bit of advice. Make sure you obscure your detailed coordinates. Don't want to advertise expensive kit in gardens unecessarily ?

There are some lucky people ?

I am hoping I can build an observatory at the end of the garden and hide myself away from lights / face East which should give me a shot ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mark81 said:

When my neighbour turns off the Christmas lights....

Love your elevation! I used to live in the Broads, and my house was at an elevation of 0.5m.

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm obviously being incredibly dense, because I can't see how to get the data box that everyone else seems to have found and posted (I've got all the SQM boxes ticked)!

But the entire local area is coloured pink, which according to the legend means that it is better than 18.5. But readings taken a couple of days ago (at 3am) were between 17.4 and 17.6.

Go figure.

• Sad 1

Here it is, but it is worse now than 3 years ago - a lot of development / new construction right near me.

image.png.0588531479fa7f79aa6f0cb44db6f103.png

Viirs data 2015 vs 2017:

image.png.294e48df3f73361ce0bda3a7e8c3eeaa.png

image.png.131b7b49dbd5bc3341f44b9017058c4b.png

But I hope to move to:

This year at the end of summer :D . We decided to move out of the city and looking a place to build a house (and obsy :D  at some point) - this is my favorite location so far:

image.png.21f9c1860a47a0016c7f7ed4e879503d.png

11 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I'm obviously being incredibly dense, because I can't see how to get the data box that everyone else seems to have found and posted (I've got all the SQM boxes ticked)!

But the entire local area is coloured pink, which according to the legend means that it is better than 18.5. But readings taken a couple of days ago (at 3am) were between 17.4 and 17.6.

Go figure.

Just click with your mouse pointer on lightpollution info map and there will be popup with said info

• Thanks 1

Coordinates 49° N/ 9°E: SQM-L values of 21.2 (own measurement) and 21.35 (Light pollution map value), according to Bortle 4. (Never really got on with the Bortle scale - seems, IMO, to be  made for less humid climates).

Stephan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

Thanks. vlaiv.

As above, the actual reading varies from about 17.4 to 17.6 ... I just wish I could get 19.3!

sqm.png

That is quite a bit of difference!

Most that I've heard is like half a magnitude of difference between SQM reading and Light Pollution Info. Maybe your SQM meter is not calibrated properly?

For example:

This is what light pollution info provides:

image.png.013bce53aff6ba0b2c8785ac4b446a18.png

And these are set of measurements on star parties in 3 years:

image.png.e03ae349d5a224832e597f0bd99c0504.png

Btw this shows increase in LP levels over time - first measurement is done in quarter moon but is still the best.

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That is quite a bit of difference!

Most that I've heard is like half a magnitude of difference between SQM reading and Light Pollution Info. Maybe your SQM meter is not calibrated properly?

That is always a possibility as I have never had anything to which to compare it. Possibly the proximity of my two nearest streetlights are having a disproportionate influence. When I put my Ne3 filter in front of the lens (I did this to measure the sky brightness for each of my filters to enable me to calculate appropriate sub-lengths) it goes way down to 23.0. So if my meter is reading 1.5 mag too bright, then that would mean I would be getting a sky brightness of 24.5 with that filter. I think that might be a little too hopeful!

I live in Bortle 5-6 but spend a lot of time with family on IOW so below is that reading:

image.png.4aa0058da9cdcbfb8758ee69bf74db6e.png

Will be here though in just over a weeks time! Road trip down to Morocco. Packed all my gear into Motor Home and worrying I have forgotten something.

image.png.da54e266307cd8ee8bd7fee5465a3e20.png

Edited by Z3roCool
  • Like 3

Map says 21.66 and Bortle 4 where I am now. Will have to buy a SQM to check, but it does get quite usably dark, unlike Ruislip.

The nearest artificial lights (Not windows) are on a farm building about 1/4 mile away, but they're only visible from my bedroom, not glaring, and not on all the time. I think the nearest streetlights are in Bridport, about 4 miles away. Unfortunately there are a lot of them!

I did mine with a meter a good few years ago

I will have to borow it again and redo it now we have the LED lights  

Date/Time: 2015-10-14   02:26:00

SQM:

Device: SQM-L (lens)