Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

nitram100

COMPLETED - 10" orion optics dob mount

As per title, looking for one of these mounts for m old europa 250mm. I have an EQ6 Pro but it's just too much hassle to get out and setup so looking to downsize to a dob mount!

Cheers

Interested in following up to this - I've an OO Europa 250 f/4.8 also, but the original GEM mount and alu tripod doesn't feel at all sufficient enough for it, OK for observing but not a chance for any astrophotography - did you have the same tripod initially and then upgrade to the NEQ6? If you have had the GEM, is it the legs or the eq-mount that is the (biggest) issue - upgrading to the NEQ6, have you kept the same 10" bracket for telescope or whole new assembly?

Did you get a Dob style mount in the end (post here is from Jan)?

Not looked at upgrading the tripod yet, but think it is needed at some point for more serious observing...

Pete

Hi Pete, so sorry for slow reply have only just seen this.

I sold my original GEM 1 mount head and tripod as it just wasn't nearly enough for the 10" and I am visual only.

I swapped out both, so i bought the NEQ6 Pro head and the EQ6 pro tripod.

I kept the same tube rings that Orion Optics supplied, attached these to a 12" Skywatcher dovetail and replaced the Skywatcher Puck with a Losmandy, although the puck replacement wasn't really necessary.

The setup works great and can now view and focus without any wobble in the eyepiece, I am still looking for a dob mount though as the EQ6 Pro takes me too long to setup and under London skies, it's just not worth it most of the time.

Good Luck mate.