Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier list completed

David Levi

16 hours ago, David Levi said:

Toughest to see for me was the Seashell Galaxy M83, low down in Hydra. It was also probably the one I found hardest to find.

David I have only seen M83 once from home it is very difficult from the UK. Last summer I was able to observe on a mountain top close to the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton. I had  my 11x70 binos and you won't believe how easy M83 was to find and observe. It shows the need for dark skies and lower Dec to find some of these lower Messier objects.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we discuss our Messier lists, are we talking about just using maps and star-hopping, or are people with 'go-to' mounts involved too?

I have a Messier list, but they've all been found by me through star-hopping. If I see something through someone else's go-to mount, it doesn't go on my list. Because I haven't hunted it out and found it.
Or does it simply matter that you've clapped eyes on it?

44 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

When we discuss our Messier lists, are we talking about just using maps and star-hopping, or are people with 'go-to' mounts involved too?

I have a Messier list, but they've all been found by me through star-hopping. If I see something through someone else's go-to mount, it doesn't go on my list. Because I haven't hunted it out and found it.

You make the "rules" that make you happy.  It's your hobby, after all.  Personally I found them all by star-hopping because I enjoyed the challenge.

James

1 hour ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

Agree with @JamesF, it’s all about how you want to set the challenge. I’ve done everything with star hopping so far. I’ve seen M6 and M7 through binoculars but won’t tick them off until I’ve seen them trough my scope. Same principle for seeing stuff through other people’s scope. 

Archived