Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RACI finderscope

I am looking at replacing my straight through finderscope on my 200p dobsonian scope with a right angled finderscope.

I see some labeled as a right angled corrected image finderscope and some labeled as a right angled erected image finderscope. Is there a diference?

A Right-Angle Correct Image (RACI) finder shows the sky in the same orientation as your eyes, right way up & correct left to right.

The view through a right-angle erect image finder is the right way up but flipped right to left so mental gymnastics are still required.

Just been doing a bit of reading and the skywatcher right angled erecting image finderscope is described as providing the image the right way up and correcting the left to right image.  So it looks like they are both the same but just named different.  I agree a erected image is just one that is turned the right way up.  

Can anyone with the skywatcher right angled erecting image finderscope confirm it indeed does correct the left to right image?

On 01/01/2019 at 13:27, Chefgage said:

I am looking at replacing my straight through finderscope on my 200p dobsonian scope with a right angled finderscope.

Out of need or just fancy the upgrade?

I have three finders but only the basic 9x50 adorns the scope at present, but it does a good job. I've also found that keeping both eyes open  makes target acquisition easier. I'm  also right eye dominant so use of the standard finder scope is not so much a burden, whereas  with the the Telrad, I have to reach around?

This is my third Tetrad? This one has it all, 4" riser, dew shield including mirror for 90° viewing and a pulser, but  you really do need to be behind the Telrad in order to get the best from it, plus  I still need my glasses to see the reticules sharply.

I've also got a Revelation RACI, think its an 8x50 but still never got around to using this one, as I'm still in need of a healthy 'O' ring to enable proper adjustments, and to be honest, some decent weather too.

I'll source the correct  '0' ring now for my RACI.

24 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Just been doing a bit of reading and the skywatcher right angled erecting image finderscope is described as providing the image the right way up and correcting the left to right image.

I noticed that, but if these SW finders are RACI why are they not described as such, especially since RACI finders generally fetch a higher price.

Can @FLO confirm that the right-angle SW finders that they sell are in fact RACI or not?

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

Just been doing a bit of reading and the skywatcher right angled erecting image finderscope is described as providing the image the right way up and correcting the left to right image.  So it looks like they are both the same but just named different.  I agree a erected image is just one that is turned the right way up.  

Can anyone with the skywatcher right angled erecting image finderscope confirm it indeed does correct the left to right image?

I recently bought the Skywatcher RACI 9x50 finder after looking at some others.  The dealer clearly believed it came in RACI and erecting-only versions, not identified on the packaging, as she tried looking through it at the yard outside before  confirming to me that I was being offered a RACI.

Added note: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/20932.html

This dealer lists non-RACI and RACI versions, at different prices.   So you should check with your dealer if in any doubt about what you are getting.

Erecting and correct image are the same as far as I'm aware. The sequence is as follows:

Straight through finder - image is upside down, same as a refractor used Japanese style, without a diagonal.

Right angle finder - image is the right way up but left right reverse, the same as a refractor with a mirror diagonal

Right angle erecting or correct image (RACI) - image is fully corrected, same as a refractor with an amici prism.

That's my understanding anyway!

As Dave says, these FLO finders are RACI

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

17 hours ago, Charic said:

Out of need or just fancy the upgrade?

I have three finders but only the basic 9x50 adorns the scope at present, but it does a good job. I've also found that keeping both eyes open  makes target acquisition easier. I'm  also right eye dominant so use of the standard finder scope is not so much a burden, whereas  with the the Telrad, I have to reach around?

This is my third Tetrad? This one has it all, riser, dew shield, RACI (mirror?) and pulser, but  you really do need to be behind the Telrad in order to get the best from it, plus  I still need my glasses to see the reticules sharply.

I've also got a Revelation RACI, think its an 8x50 but still never got around to using this one, as I'm still in need of a healthy 'O' ring to enable proper adjustments, and to be honest, some decent weather too.

I'll source the correct  '0' ring now for my RACI.

'Out of need or just fancy the upgrade?'  The answer to this is both :)

i have no trouble using the standard straight through finder using both eyes etc.. It is purly the fact it hurts my neck and back using the straight through finder.

Archived