Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone processing with Affinity Photo?

dannybgoode

Happy new year to all

I am slowly getting back to the point where I can dip my toes in to AP - I've read 'the book' (twice now but will be going for a third pass), got my mount pretty much set up and will be getting the scopes tested and collimated the next clear night that comes along.

My laptop is loaded with the various bits of software needed to undertake the actual imaging and the one thing I am unsure about is what package to use PP.  I am (I would like to think at least) a very competent terrestrial photographer and I used to subscribe to PS CC but it's just so expensive.  I have since moved over to Affinity Photo - a quite brilliant 'normal' photo editing program and as near as damn it as powerful and featured as PS but on a good day can be had for around £35.  Preferably I would use this for editing my astro shots as well; it is compatible with a lot of PS plugins etc.

Does anyone currently use it and if so are there any particular tips, tricks and techniques that you could share?  Or, have people tried it and it just isn't up to the job?

Hi.

I have AP on my PC laptop but have to say I've not used it as much as PS on my iMac because I am finding it difficult to find a work-around for the lack of layers - or am I missing something? I purchased PS CS6 Extended several years ago when working in education and so managed to buy it at just 20% of the retail price. I only have an iOS version of CS6, the licence does not include a Windows version, hence the interest in finding an equivalent for the PC.

Sorry I can't be of more help but if your thread reveals a work-around for layers I will be very interested.

Happy New Year!

P.S. As an aside I notice Paint-Shop-Pro (similar price bracket to AP) uses layers but I have yet to try a trial version.

I use Affinity photo - it does a good job on processing astrophotos. It can also handle layers, can stack, stitch, etc., like any proprietory photo editing software.

The only thing I miss is the automatic hot pixel removal that Canon RAW seems to have inbuilt to its software - Affinity does not have this facility in its Develop persona which is a little disappointing for me, as I was hoping to fully migrate to Affinity. They did post a macro tutorial about it a while ago but it's not the same...

For everything else it's perfectly fine and has very intuitive features. I've used it for nearly two years now. Like the non-destructive editing, too...

However, I still have an ancient CS version installed just for the RAW astro photography edits. Will get round to buying Lightroom, one day...

Archived