Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Witch Head neb,Barnards Loop

jetstream

After the 14"of snow the other day a cold front is passing through with observing temps at -28c here. Vg skies tonight with the MW sharply defined. A quick 2 hr session with the 200mm f3.8 revealed Barnards Loop with no filter near M78 and with the filter(Hb) it was followed from M78 down to Saif, which is quite a way. After observing this a few times a move was made over to the Witch Head area and tonight the brighter portion was easily visible and the harder lower portion was observed as well, no filter obviously. EP's used tonight were the Lunt 20mm HDC , 32mm ES 82 and the Nikon 17mm/14mm HW. The Nikon was the first to pick up the Witch Head and is a very high contrast eyepiece.

Much more observed thats for sure but these 2 observations represent progress for me, now they are becoming second nature.

Gerry

Fabulous report Gerry nice to read here on new years day. Does seem like conditions are 'normalising' in your region, conducive enough for those observations. UK seems to have been consumed by quite mild south westly air bringing patchy or complete cloud cover at least at night fall. Some colder north eastly conditions blowing in presently thank goodness. 

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Fabulous report Gerry nice to read here on new years day. Does seem like conditions are 'normalising' in your region, conducive enough for those observations. UK seems to have been consumed by quite mild south westly air bringing patchy or complete cloud cover at least at night fall. Some colder north eastly conditions blowing in presently thank goodness. 

Hi Iain and thanks, I hope you get some clear skies soon.

Off topic in my own thread but I must comment on the Pleiades- this object is a must see, must try in order to bring out the "bubble"- it is one of the best objects out there. It does not appear "static" but as you stare at it or roll the eye around it seems to "burst" in and out with dark lanes and glowing nebulosity. To first try it put the Merope neb in view and look at the "chain "of stars- there is a dark lane right there extending between Merope and Alcyon(?).

It shows great in a Heritage 130 or any frac as long as you get the mag low enough and needs a bit of playing around to optimize including upping the mag back up.

What fracs do you have currently?

A few nights ago, I had set up to observe early and I am quite sure, particularly with becoming familiar with Mel Bartels drawing, that I could determine nebulosity surrounding the Pleiades. I was using my 200mm, F6 OOUK dob, with 31T5 and later 21E. Transparency at this time was very good indeed. I had also set up my TV85 which when fixed onto the Pleiades, was using my 31T5, this was a little later in the session and transparency circumstances had begun to vary. I had desired to use my 21E coupled to the TV85 for the Pleiades and for B34 in Auriga gaining in contrast, perhaps next time. I quite agree, the Pleiades grows in fascination each time I explore and understand more, when at least there are periods of good transparency.

I will have to pay attention to the details you describe Gerry and well who knows, it's a long winter yet, Barnard's Loop, Witch Head nebula even perhaps some trace, suggestion. I am keen to wild camp and take the TV85 and interact between the 31 and 21mm. Not so sure that in the time before I return to work on Monday that there is going to be a worth while enough night time clear sky forecast for N/E, but if not, intend to take my bicycle out and get a wild-camp night so to bolster my confidence a bit. 

Really supprised me the witch can be observed..I'm a imager and not really visual but as a reference I have to go to a bortle 4 site, 6 min exposure wont show much at all..once stacked and stretched you get something..but not much...really is a tough target so I'm in shock..hats off to you

Well some things eyes can do pretty good on...if equipment is optimum and skies are dark(they are here). I was out last night in very transparent skies with a nice 90mm refractor and 42mm LVW, Barnards Loop was easy with the Hb but not nearly as good as the 200mm f3.8 newt. This little scope opens up so many opportunities... and uses some of the best hyperwides out there.

The 90mm frac did not show the Witch Head last night.

So for reference the sky is roughly 21.6 mag on the MW, 21.8 off it with NELM 6.8 and eye illumination of 4.7mm to 7.9mm. Starlight brightens the snow/ice so that once dark adapted you can see no problem out there.

Great report Gerry

I’m guessing that you need some gourmet cold weather gear to be out in that cold for any length of time!

How do you find the Lunt wide field eyepiece at f3.8? I’m considering getting one for use with my f4 Dob.

Paul

Thanks Paul, its fun finding these objects. The Lunt 20mm is good but with no paracorr coma is an issue and collimation needs to be spot on. This scope only really looks for nebs so stars are secondary. I'll be using the Lunt in the 24" f4.1 once its here.

Archived