SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

46P Wirtenan fly past Capella

This comet is being a challenge, so far have had four opportunities to capture it but none have been satisfactory weather wise, clouds and then double fog.

Christmas Eve was enjoyable being outside even if shrouded in swirling fog oh and Moon was 98%. Still with the weather like it is can't be fussy so setup anyway, this time using the 85mm f1.8 Canon lens at f4 on 1100d with a flocked flower pot shield. Using a Virtuoso mount and Android tablet rattled off 110 lights of 30 seconds ISO 400, 24 flats , 23 dark flats and 23 darks and bias files. Stacked in DSS using the best placed image for the comet rather then the highest scoring light made a stack on the stars and one on the stars and comet, comet only did not work due to the lack of clear sky around the comet. The processing was in StarTools with a mix of layers and masks. I have tried to keep more star data in this process rather then isolate away the background too strongly. The fog did make the data a bit more murky then i had hoped for especially with 110 light frames, took quite a while marking the comet on every frame.

1351713436_Autosavegroupreorderv2stars.ftsstarsandcometv2.thumb.jpg.718e622ec9c01de005f1a8769e82c546.jpg

Edit:

I have reprocessed the data and replaced the first image used here. Using StarTools I created three images. Stars stack for the stars and then healed out the comet area. Stars and comet stack for the comet and subtracted the stars using layers and then used the life module do subdue the stars and then the heal module to remove Capella area. Then worked on the colour in the comet and lastly combined the files again using layers module.

Archived