Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

des anderson

What`s your favourite constellation?

Well Guys and girls,what`s your favourite constellation,mines got to be Orion, all those nebula`s and  clusters. Des

• Like 1

For me it has to be Cygnus, not only is it my Latin namesake, but it has the summer Milky Way running through it with some gorgeous NB targets.

• Like 4

I'm going to cheat and agree with the OP for winter and with Dave for summer.

Got to be Sagittarius for me, with all its deep sky objects and the densest part of the Milky Way. The fact that it is so elusive from these latitudes only adds to the magic.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Beat me to it Mike.I gotta agree Sagittarius for me too. Cant wait for its short appearance here all its variety of DSO's 

Orion. No, Cassiopeia, no, Cygnus, no..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There’s something about Orion, regardless of object riches or anything, being a child and hearing my dad tell me about Orion as we stood in the winter air in the mountains of B.C. forever made it mine.

Cassiopeia.  I love all the star clusters no matter how faint and fuzzy most of them are...

Orion because It is the easiest to see. It is the one I have always known since childhood.

Scorpio, if I still lived in the southern hemisphere. In the northern hemisphere, it has to be Auriga - the best star clusters.

Carina always gives me a cozy feeling when I see it

Well, there is one constellation that I am guaranteed to get on my laptop every time I go out there ... Ursa Minor. Without Polaris, PA would be an absolute nightmare, so I am very grateful for it and so this would be the constellation I would most hate to lose.

But (more in the spirit of the original enquiry) Cassie was always my first love. When I started imaging it was all about open clusters for me and she is jam-packed full of them ...

• Like 1

Thanks Des, you've started a very interesting discussion. Reading the posts members have made very compelling reasons for their choices and given me food for thought.
All the best for 2019.

• Like 1

Cygnus. I like taking spectra, usually with the cheap and cheerful Star Analyser, and Cygnus is stuffed full of WR stars plus P Cygni which always fascinates me.

Eric.

Hmmm... difficult...  Cygnus is a rich DSO area,  Orion has lots of widefield DSO going on.

9 hours ago, Ags said:

Scorpio, if I still lived in the southern hemisphere. In the northern hemisphere, it has to be Auriga - the best star clusters.

Scorpio ???, wrong forum.   😀

• Thanks 1

I've always had a soft spot for the drop down through Perseus, the first constellation I became familiar with.    😀

Orion for me, I'll never forget the first time I viewed it through binoculars (knowing nothing of Astronomy) and "discovered" the Orion Nebula. 

When I see Orion in the sky its like welcoming an old friend. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

"discovered" the Orion Nebula

I think we've all had "those" moments

• Like 2

Virgo. Moving from galaxy to galaxy in the spring. OK, some of them cross the border and those with bigger scopes than mine presumably have more constellations where they can go galaxy mad but, for me, moving to the next one and then the next one and back again is what really floats my boat. Orion comes in second and is the place where I can really stare at the same object for the longest time (excluding planets and the moon, obviously). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I think we've all had "those" moments

I still remember discovering the coat hanger whilst just sweeping around with my 60mm refractor.

I rarely get to see it but Sagittarius for me too.