SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What`s your favourite constellation?

des anderson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scorpius - always a harbinger of summer for me, when I spot it's shape and orange glowing Antares at the end of a Virgo galaxy session in those clear March and April nights. Not to mention the splendid view of it in summer 1998 near zenith from the Seychelles island Praslin with my 8x30 - the sounds and smells of surf and tropical wilderness adding to the great impression.

Second, Orion; the Winter companion. (And, not to forget - Davis' Dog, the asterism between Hyades and Pleiades!)

Stephan

For me, Perseus is right up there (pun intended ;-)) as a favourite, for old times' sake. Looking through Binoculars seeing the open cluster around Mirfak (Melotte 20) first time was one of the first relatable moments where I thought 'it looks like one thing by eye, and completely different with a small amount of magnifation'. Then the double cluster delivered a similar experience (although more difficult to identify for a beginner).

Obviously I went on to bigger and better things with a telescope, but Perseus provided one of the first real 'wow' moments for me.

I also think it looks like a squint Christmas tree ;-).

For me it has to be Fornax, a humble constellation, until the HST delivered the Extreme Deep Field Image from within it’s boundaries.

Sure, I know any part of the sky would reveal something similar, but this is the little patch of sky where we have gone really, really deep.

A6CE2825-4FCF-43F2-AC86-6A599F4E3997.jpeg

Archived