Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What`s your favourite constellation?

des anderson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there is one constellation that I am guaranteed to get on my laptop every time I go out there ... Ursa Minor. Without Polaris, PA would be an absolute nightmare, so I am very grateful for it and so this would be the constellation I would most hate to lose.

But (more in the spirit of the original enquiry) Cassie was always my first love. When I started imaging it was all about open clusters for me and she is jam-packed full of them ...

Orion for me, I'll never forget the first time I viewed it through binoculars (knowing nothing of Astronomy) and "discovered" the Orion Nebula. 

When I see Orion in the sky its like welcoming an old friend. 

Virgo. Moving from galaxy to galaxy in the spring. OK, some of them cross the border and those with bigger scopes than mine presumably have more constellations where they can go galaxy mad but, for me, moving to the next one and then the next one and back again is what really floats my boat. Orion comes in second and is the place where I can really stare at the same object for the longest time (excluding planets and the moon, obviously). 

Archived