Star diagonal 2"-1.25"

GKA

I have a startravel 120 and wonder if there will be anything to gain if i bought a 2" star diagonal , but still use my 1,25" eyepieces , or would i have to use 2" eyepieces as well.

Thanks in advance,  and a happy New year to all of you.

GKA 

Generally, with 1.25" eyepieces, you usually achieve a narrower field of view than a 2".  Nevertheless, there are radical 1.25" EPs out there that can achieve ultra wide FOV.

With the 2", so far there have been attempts on 120-deg eyepieces. Many affordable 2" eyepieces can achieve a minimum of 70-deg.  Also, 2" barrel allows for larger lens elements to be used, producing larger eye lens so that even at higher magnifications your not looking through a tiny peep hole as you in the case of 1.25" plossls.

I personally don't use 1.25" diagonals. More than half of my eyepieces are 2" and are more frequently used than the standard 1.25", especially at medium and low power. 

2" diagonals also have the benefit of carrying heavy accessories. 

Hi GKA, with a 2" diagonal you can use both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, the diagonal comes with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor (or reducer).  I believe your telescope comes with a 45º diagonal which is more for daytime terrestrial use, you need to buy a 90º one.  You have a great telescope there, BTW.

Hi guys,thanks for Your replies. It won't be anytime soon anyway,since i spent a bit to much lately. ?

rwilkey , Yes i think it's a great Scope for me,i'm a newbie and googled a lot before i choosed this one..

I have a 90 degree on it's way already , it will be here this week or the Next , but i like to Upgrade the Scope in the near future wit a 2" diagonal an a New focuser With micro adjuster , but it all Depends on how good i'am at saving ? 

Using the 45 degree diagonal makes my neck hurt in steep angles , and i struggle to get my eyes in the right posision on the eyepiece.

What I like about the 1,25" diagonal is the compact size. For holidays, my 2" diagonal stays at home. The 1,25" diagonal with two/three eyepieces is all I need. If portability is no issue and you want 2" eyepieces in the near future, then yes, go with the 2" diagonal.

Archived