Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
michael.h.f.wilkinson

New toy arrived today

My cunning plan was to order when the forecast for the next week was 100% cloud cover anyway, so arrival of new gear couldn't make things worse. I ordered a ZWO EFW 8-position filter wheel on Xmas day, and it duly arrived today.

IMG_20181231_114144.thumb.jpg.c3485cb5f3cd4c6453dc9e8149031632.jpg

I have inserted my Astronomik filter set (L, R, G, B, H-alpha, O-III, and S-II), and got the wheel working with ASCOM without issues. This wheel will mainly be used for DSO imaging, complementing the EFW-mini, which holds the Baader LRGB + IR set. The question is what to do with the 8th slot? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have inserted my Astronomik filter set (L, R, G, B, H-alpha, O-III, and S-II), and got the wheel working with ASCOM without issues. This wheel will mainly be used for DSO imaging, complementing the EFW-mini, which holds the Baader LRGB + IR set. The question is what to do with the 8th slot? 

I have exactly the same wheel and filter combination.  My 8th slot has a CLS filter for taking mono shots or luminance when my suburban skies are dusty > more light pollution.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

My cunning plan was to order when the forecast for the next week was 100% cloud cover anyway, so arrival of new gear couldn't make things worse. I ordered a ZWO EFW 8-position filter wheel on Xmas day, and it duly arrived today.

IMG_20181231_114144.thumb.jpg.c3485cb5f3cd4c6453dc9e8149031632.jpg

https://www.astroshop.eu/other/astoptics-dark-frame-filter-36mm-diameter-unmounted/p,57888?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=57888&utm_campaign=1812&utm_source=froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKERN53CoYLRdI15rv1GOS5VErWVSbFb9v4HLa36AVxjd16Y3EXGJ7vTkaApAvEALw_wcB&utm_content=

54 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I had something similar that came with the Xagyl 5 position EFW I had before the ZWO.  As there was no way of creating a perfect seal between the edges of the filter and the EFW casing, there was a light leak around the edges, meaning it was useless for taking dark frames. 😞.  Perhaps the ZWO is better than the Xagyl in this respect?

Edited by michaelmorris

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nope, you just made it worse!

We had fog yesterday too. ;)

100% cloud cover from the ground up. :D

• Haha 1