Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

The first Binocular Sky Newsletter of 2019 is ready. In addition to the usual stuff on DSOs and variable and double stars, this month we have:

• Uranus still available
  • Comet 46P/Wirtanen fading
  • X Oph brightening
  • Two (difficult) grazing occultations

Here's hoping that 2019 brings us all an abundance of clear, dark skies.

To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good stuff as always. Thanks for putting the newsletter together. 

• Like 1

Just discovered this -- great resource. Thank you!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BinocularSky
      The February Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. In addition to the usual stuff on DSOs and variable and double stars, this month we have:
      Uranus still available Occultation of δ Cnc X Oph near maximum Grazing occultation of 63 Tau (Devon only) I hope it helps you to enjoy these chilly winter nights.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
    • By SacRiker
      I've not yet seen Uranus through my scope and am going to make an effort once the clouds blow away (of course we get a storm the moment I get back into astronomy!). Based on the equipment i have (please see signature) can you all give some tips on how I might have success in this endeavor? Would be much appreciated!
    • By BinocularSky
      The November edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Uranus still available
      * Comet 46P
      * Mira brightening
      * Asteroid occultation for southern England
      So grab those binocs (or small telescope) and enjoy the glories that the night sky has to share with us.
    • By stepping beyond
      This is my rendition on m81, m82 and m57 , I hadn't shot on these before and I had my share of problems with equipment not connecting . I've got more to do but, this is my feeble processing attempt. They're a work in progress .

• By Sedna
      Does anyone here use eye glasses *only* for astronomy? I'm a young guy with good eye sight. But here's a story that makes me wonder if I need eye glasses.
      I went to Death Valley National Park in early November last year (2017), just about three weeks after Uranus was at opposition. I set up a modest (~2 inch) telescope I had borrow from a friend at Ubehebe Crater, which is at the northern end of the park. The northern end of park has a virtually perfect sky. If you check lightpollutionmap.info, this site is a Bortle class 1 sky, artificial brightness = 0.17 ucd/m^2. In other words, this was the best possible place and time to see Uranus.
      In fact, I did find Uranus, but only with the aid of the telescope and a star chart app that told me exactly where to look. The app had enough background stars that I could identify Uranus through the scope, and it had the same blue color as in Voyager pictures. (Later that night I even found Neptune!)
      But I also wanted to see Uranus with my unaided eye. This was my best chance, and how cool would that be, to say you really saw the seventh planet with your own bare eyes? Unfortunately, even when I knew exactly where to, I had no such luck. Some of the main stars in Pieces (where Uranus was) were even so dim that I could barely see them with averted vision (and even then I had to kinda wonder if I was only imagining seeing them).
      Why I couldn't see Uranus near opposition in Death Valley, with a clear, dry sky and no light pollution and knowing exactly where to look? My best guesses are (1) vision problems and (2) eyes never fully dark adjusting.
      1) I'm in my late 20s and don't wear glasses. Last I checked, I had 20/20 vision. But maybe I've become very subtly near sighted (my job involves staring at a computer screen all day).
      2) I was checking the star chart app fairly frequency to orient myself. Maybe my vision never fully adjusted? I think I must have gone at least 20 minutes without looking, which should be enough to fully adjust?
      I've also had some difficultly seeing M31 and other "easy" targets with the naked eye. I really don't think I can get a prescription for eye glasses from the doctor, because I see fine in daily life and had mine checked about a year ago (no problems).
      So my question: Does anyone here use eye glasses *only* for astronomy? If so, where do you get a good pair? I really want to experience the joy of astronomy with my bare eyes and not just the telescope. If anyone has insights here, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.